Senior Tester - Production Toolkit
The BBC currently has an exciting Senior Tester opportunity within the Production Toolkit team.
We work across TV and Content Production to deliver effective web applications to enable continuous improvement in the BBC. To do this we require a talented, enthusiastic tester that has good technical understanding, and has experience working in an agile team on web products.
You’ll work closely with the product manager and developers within our team, as well as coordinating necessary user acceptance testing with end users of our applications (in TV/Content Production). You will build a good understanding of our applications, and be responsible for the testing and build process of our applications.
The Senior Tester will co-ordinate testing activities for our current and future products and ensure the spread of good practice and knowledge within the team.
You'll join a team of seven developers, and a support analyst as part of an agile team. This is a team effort with everyone having a part to play and a voice to shape the product. You will report directly to the Product Manager.
11 month Fixed Term Contract, available now.
- Lead the definition and execution of the test approach for our products.
- End-to-end testing and sign-off for all product releases.
- Responsible for managing the build process of our products.
- Advocate and encourage the use of TDD/BDD practices where appropriate.
- Understand business requirements and create acceptance criteria and design test cases.
- Contribute to the continuous refinement of processes across the team.
- Creating manual and/or automated test cases to verify functional and non-functional requirements of a product.
- Work closely with developers to investigate and resolve bugs/issues.
- Producing descriptive, clear and concise plans, and exit reports for stakeholders.
- Pairing with developers to ensure we have a robust and well written suite of automated acceptance tests.
- Troubleshooting – finding critical bugs or verifying reported issues, identifying their underlying cause.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of working within an agile software development environment.
- Experience with the AWS platform (cloud based infrastructure/services).
- Ability to understand business requirements and create acceptance criteria and design test cases.
- Experience testing web browser applications and technologies.
- Working knowledge of build tools such as Jenkins.
- Hands-on experience of using test automation tools such as Cucumber or Selenium etc.
- Prior experience with tools such as JIRA and Confluence.
- Good understanding of usability and accessibility of applications and products.
- Ability to anticipate problems, troubleshoot, and solve them creatively and innovatively.
- You like working as part of a team to create a great product.
- You have good technical understanding/knowledge.
- Attention to detail.
- You’re passionate about the BBC and working with our applications.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
Planning & Organising
• Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others
• Is able to prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors
Managing Relationships / Team Working
• Is able to develop successful working relationships with a wide range of individuals and organisations
• Takes due care and time to maintain and develop existing relationships
• Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decisions made.
• Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups.
• Is able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change.
• Has the ability to clearly communicate messages, both verbally and in writing, such that the other party understands.
• Adopts a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information
• Communicates in a timely and regular manner, and ensures the recipients’ understanding
Influencing & Persuading
• Has the ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others
• Demonstrates the ability to draw from a range of influencing strategies in order to persuade people to achieve agreement or behavioural change
Grade 8 (proposed band D)
11 month fixed term contract
- Excellent career progression: the BBC offers great opportunities for staff to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities: our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community: we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical opportunities: We work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, healthcare, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role. The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.