Senior User Experience Designer
We design the BBC’s amazing digital experiences, from apps to websites, from iPlayer to CBeebies.
Our ace team of UX designers, architects and researchers collaborate closely with product, editorial and technical teams from across the BBC. Together we create elegant, delightful (not to mention award-winning) digital experiences on mobile, tablet, desktop and TV across 10 digital products: BBC Homepage, Search, News, Sport, Weather, Knowledge & Learning, CBeebies, CBBC, iPlayer and Radio & Music.
- Be the voice of user experience in project teams, explaining your rationale to developers, editorial staff and product managers
- Contribute expertise and collaborate with other members of the team to get to the heart of what our users need, creating sketches, concepts, user journeys, wireframes and navigational prototypes
- Lead on user requirements employing relevant design and research methods and techniques to ensure a compelling design
- Lead the delivery of user requirements, personas, domain models, ontologies and functional specifications to ensure the design comes to life
- To engage the wider team and key stakeholders in the user centred design process, ensuring that user research is at the heart of design decision making
- Line manage, mentor and develop colleagues, inspiring them to new creative heights
- Direct the work of other user experience team members, and ensure high quality delivery
- Work with people across the department and other teams to make sure we’re making the most of the BBC’s Global Experience Language (GEL)
- Initiate projects and prioritise own workload
- Guide the work of external agencies and freelancers to learn new things, see new perspectives and create new ideas
- Help organise formal and informal user research, and proactively try out ideas and designs with people to make sure we’re meeting real user needs
- Investigate new research or design methodologies and ensure the team are kept up to date with advances within the user experience field
- Do all this with a view to achieving a single, seamless service across all BBC products and services
- Input into recruitment of mid-weight and junior staff, including regular catch-ups, professional development, input into appraisals, and manage poor performance where required
- Support a positive working environment that considers the needs of a diverse team
Are you the right candidate?
- Evidence of an extensive portfolio of consistently great work across different screens and systems
- Proven experience of providing leadership and expertise to user experience and product teams
- Broad conceptual expertise to inspire others and help shape product strategy
- Comfortable explaining design concepts to anyone, no matter how senior or inexperienced
- To take a broader view – approaching design and information architecture conceptually, and thinking about the whole experience
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills - the ability to communicate the reasoning behind your concepts, methods, and approaches to varied audiences
- Ability to balance what the user needs with what’s really achievable
- Follow the latest design trends and technology developments
- Can prioritise and plan own work, to perform well under pressure and to multiple, tight deadlines
- Degree or equivalent experience
Permanent Band D
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.