The Senior Editor will lead and inspire a team to develop and deliver content across digital platforms, ensuring that it achieves the highest creative and editorial standards, delivers on time and on budget, with adherence to BBC guidelines.
Digital Consumer Engagement is an award-winning team with diverse digital expertise. We deliver best-in-class creative and commercial strategies through targeted social first propositions for our UK and global audiences.
We support the business and marketing objectives with smart CRM and D2C targeted audience initiatives, creating global hits which drives revenues for the BBC Group.
We operate 70+ channels, including YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and amongst other major social media platforms.
- Lead on the production of distinctive video content for a variety of digital platforms using specialist production and editing skills.
- To work effectively with other departments, suppliers & partners (internal & external) ensuring the BBC maintains excellent relationships throughout.
- Lead, motivate and support a team, ensuring that the editorial vision is communicated and understood.
- Responsible for signing off completed programmes or material for broadcast
- Responsibility for project management appropriate to the given discipline, such as the construction of a full production schedule and budget in conjunction with Production Management and others.
- To ensure content reflects our diverse audiences.
- Deputising where appropriate for senior team members.
- To keep up to date with emerging industry trends.
- Where relevant, liaise with Rights teams and contract negotiators and ensure copyright and contracts adhere to BBC regulations.
- Develop and manage positive working relationships with staff, contributors and talent and be able to give constructive feedback.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the department’s strategy and policy.
- Seek improvements in content production to develop further efficiencies in working practices.
- Accountable for the compliance and delivery of content, acting within BBC Editorial, Legal and Health & Safety guidelines.
Are you the right candidate?
- A thorough knowledge of BBC editorial guidelines and other compliance policies, or has the desire to glean this knowledge quickly.
- Understanding of the importance of the BBC's values in accuracy and impartiality.
- A passion for and a great understanding of the area in which the role operates.
- Strong track record in the area in which the role operates with a wide ranging knowledge of production processes.
- Proven experience of the latest production techniques and technologies.
- Excellent editorial judgement and knowledge of the target audience, their needs and expectations
- Experience of influencing, negotiating and communicating effectively both internally and with external agencies/partners.
- Ability to establish effective short and long term relationships with a wide range of people, talent, partners and agencies.
- Highly developed planning and organising skills. Ability to manage several areas of work at one time, prioritising, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities.
- Sound editorial judgement and a thorough knowledge of editorial and legal guidelines.
- Proven experience of taking ideas from concept to finished product whilst driving forward creativity.
- Able to lead the team to develop creative ideas which engage diverse audiences in a demanding creative environment
- Experience of managing and motivating a team, and actively managing team performance, including talent.
- Able to communicate and contribute to the department strategy as required.
- An up to date knowledge of the BBC's diverse audiences and their needs and expectations and use this to shape creative and engagement output.
- Has the ability to consider a range of problems and uses own judgement to apply effective, time critical solutions.
- Experience and knowledge of managing financial budgets and production schedules.
The Senior Editor may report to various roles, depending on the area of which they are working in, but can range from a Series Producer & Executive Producer to a Head of department.
Producers have overall control on every aspect of a production. They bring together and approve the whole production team. Their key responsibility is to create an environment where the talents of the contributors and crew can flourish. Producers are accountable for the success of the finished production and will steer the production from beginning to completion and beyond.
Contract Type: 12 month FTC
Location: London TVC
Working Pattern: Hybrid Working (Home-based plus two/three days a week in the office)
We are really proud to share that we are a Level 2 Disability Confident Employer and so if you require any reasonable adjustments in order to apply please do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the job reference BBC/TP/2391562/61093 in the subject. We advertise all our roles on Evenbreak, the specialist job board for disabled candidates
- Flexible/agile working - opportunities across the business. We’re happy to discuss a formal flexible working pattern. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at the offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certifications.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (plus an additional day which is a Corporation Day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background. We strive to be the best British content company in the world, attracting the best creative talents in the business, so that we can bring premium quality award-winning programmes, content and brands to the viewer no matter where they are.
The BBC Group has set out the first in a new series of bold steps to transform our programming and better represent the public we serve. We have the biggest financial investment to on-air inclusion in the industry, together with our existing commissioning budget, we are committed to throwing open our doors more widely than ever to diverse stories and diverse storytellers. Together with a diverse workforce we will accelerate the pace of change in increasing diversity and inclusion both on and off air
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please visit our website.