Series Producer Holby City
Reporting to the Executive Producer, Holby City/Casualty, the Series Producer oversees production and delivery of Holby City to BBC ONE ensuring this is on time, on budget and to the highest possible creative standard.
With the Line Producer, manages the Holby teams, studio and locations so that productions run smoothly and to budget.
With the Lead Writer and episodic Producers oversees the editorial development of stories, scripts and episodes.
The nature of television drama production can involve long and unpredictable work patterns, and pressure to meet tight schedules. There must be no restriction on the ability of the postholder to travel within the UK or abroad, subject to the BBC's Conditions of Service Code of Practice and equal opportunities policies.
- Agree editorial/visual/practical overview of Series with Executive Producer/ Lead Writer and sign off to all Holby programme depts.
- Sign off interpretation of agreed overview with all Holby editorial/programme departments on behalf of Executive Producer and monitor throughout making of series.
- Agree programme budget /schedule with Holby Line Producer and Accountant, in consultation with the Executive Producer and Production Executive
- Agree and maintain series staffing plan and structure with HR/Talent Unit/Executive Producer/Line Producer/Production Executive
- Monitor/adapt programme budget/schedule with Line Producer/Accountant/Scheduler throughout production to keep on target for delivery of programme as commissioned
- Manage, or oversee the management of all Heads of Department, as appropriate.
- Maintain overview of series on behalf of Channel in relation to pre-watershed slot re story-telling, compliance, taste and decency and sign off as required
- Oversee and agree allocation of all writers/core writers/bulk deals to the series
- Oversee story conference planning/procedure and budget with Line Producer. Attend/ contribute to story conference
- Sign off all stories agreed at conference and after conference with Executive Producer &Lead Writer
- Read selected drafts of the story document – give editorial/budget/compliance notes as appropriate & sign off final story documents
- Liaise with Talent Rights/Line Producer/Accountant over contracts/fees/bulk deals for writers
- Read and sign off all Guest stories and Episode pitches submitted by writers for all episodes
- Read all episode pitches, draft scripts, rehearsal/shooting scripts– give editorial/budget/compliance notes as appropriate and sign off scripts.
- Sign off with Executive Producer employment of all Directors for the programme and approve for contract
- Liaise with/advise Producers throughout development of episodes with their Directors
- View rushes and assemblies and give notes to Producers when appropriate to maintain overview/vision of series
- View Producer cuts of all episodes. Check and sign off all Executive Producer notes on cuts of all episodes
- View graded/dubbed versions of all episodes, sign off for quality/compliance for TX
- Deliver completed/approved Compliance forms to Executive Producer for final sign-off for Channel
- Liaise with Line Producer over crewing decisions on all episodes as required
- Oversee Holby City’s online strategy
- Approve summaries and web clips and all info/summaries/cast lists/news entered on website for each ep and forward to Executive Producer for final sign-off
- Approve as accurate all picture and publicity information released on behalf of Holby
- Sign off all cast publicity arrangements arranged on behalf of BBC publicity for Holby
- Assist in planning and attend press functions to promote the series as appropriate
- Liaise with Casting Executive about all new Regular cast required, including all contracts/dates/fees etc
- Meet/audition/agree all new Regular cast with Executive Producer
- First point of contact for all regular/semi regular cast queries/concerns, supporting & keeping them informed of all future plans for series, stories
- Respond on behalf of BBC to all audience complaints/requests received from official and unofficial sources
- Liaise with CDS Management/Line Producer/Script Producer to maintain training programme at Holby for internal/external personnel whenever possibl
- Liaise with Executive Producer/Line Producer/Story Producer/Senior Editor over recruitment of editorial personnel
- Liaise with Channel scheduler/ /Line Producer to ensure schedule can deliver programme as requested/commissioned within budget.
- Monitor changes in TX schedule received from Channel and keep appropriate personnel informed
- Attend TV industry/charity events on behalf of programme and deliver presentations as required
- Oversee all departmental structures and spearhead any structural changes required
- Build and lead editorial and production team and all other direct reports, contributing to career development, setting objectives, conducting appraisals, recommending training, resolving issues where necessary and promoting good working practices
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience of producing a long-running show is essential, along with a strong track record of drama producing.
- A passion for drama and a knowledge of Holby City.
- A strong working knowledge and experience of television drama production processes, with an understanding of the roles of production, editorial and resource personnel.
- Experience and strong track record of reconciling artistic aspiration with financial constraint, of planning and revising large production budgets and schedules and to deliver programmes on time and within budget.
- Knowledge of the skills/abilities of professionals within the industry including writers, directors, production teams and actors.
- Proven experience of generating creative ideas and vision and storylines.
- Knowledge of the internal and external resources/facilities market, sufficient to enable informed and cost-effective contractual decisions to be made.
- In-depth awareness of audiences and their needs, and the ability to respond with original and viable production ideas.
- Knowledge of corporate conditions of service, equal opportunities and health & safety policies, Editorial Guidelines, contracts, and relevant trade union agreements.
- Effective negotiating and management skills; and experience of recruiting, leading, managing and motivating production teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills sufficient to establish credibility with colleagues and to foster effective working relationships with a wide range of production and non-production personnel, internal and external to the BBC.
- The ability to construct effective production teams, taking into account relative strengths/weaknesses.
With over 350 hours of in-house output a year, BBC Drama Production makes some of the most original, diverse and highly acclaimed television. These range from continuing drama such as Holby City, Casualty, EastEnders and Doctors, to series and serials such as Silent Witness, Luther and Our Girl to name just a few.
Holby City is BBC1’s BAFTA award winning Medical Drama Series transmitted on BBC 1 every Tuesday.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.