Series Producer, X-Ray - BBC Studios
BBC Studios’ Unscripted Productions has bases in London, Bristol, Cardiff and Northern Ireland. It’s home to many of the BBC’s most popular brands such as DIY SOS, Countryfile, Gardeners’ World, Crimewatch Roadshow, Bargain Hunt and X-Ray.
X-Ray is BBC Wales’ flagship consumer series. It’s made up of presenter links, short-form content and investigative films. Transmitted at 19:30 on Monday evenings, it’s a staple series for the BBC One Wales schedule.
We are looking for a new Series Producer to deliver the forthcoming season of X-Ray which will involve working with the Exec Producer to give the show a fresh and modern feel. You’ll be working with much-loved existing talent as well as introducing some brand new faces. It’s a great opportunity for a talented and innovative SP to help put their stamp on a series and establish new ways of working.
- To run a busy team of producers, shooting directors, researchers and runners
- To work with the Exec Producer to produce new ideas which revive and rejuvenate the series whilst keeping within the expectations of commissioner briefs
- To ensure the series is compliant and suitable for the target audience
- To ensure the series represents the diverse backgrounds of its audience both on and off screen
- To set realistic budgets, manage them effectively and operate the most efficient ways of working, so that programmes remain on time and within budget.
- To deliver maximum value for money to the audience and to BBC Studios.
- To establish and successfully manage a broad range of relationships with both on and off screen talent
- To manage the writing, filming and editing process in relation to material for all platforms
Are you the right candidate?
- Series Producer experience of managing a production end to end
- Ideally have a background in consumer television and/or consumer journalism
- Excellent script writing skills
- Highly developed social and diplomatic skills for communicating with contributors and on-screen talent
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of the requirements of producing a series and managing a team
- Creative and highly imaginative with original ideas and a track record of turning these into reality
- A sound working knowledge of current production and post-production processes, techniques and technology
- Demonstrable enthusiasm for the content area
- Experience of managing budgets and delivering programmes on time and to budget
- Strong editorial judgement and experience of applying this knowledge. Knowledge of editorial guidelines; awareness of relevant BBC and statutory policies and regulations; e.g., producers’ guidelines, legal issues, health and safety regulations, artists’ rights, music copyright, insurance requirements, working with children etc
For this role / Ar gyfer y swydd yma:
Welsh language skills are not necessary / Nid yw sgiliau yn yr iaith Gymraeg yn angenrheidiol
Applications may be submitted in Welsh, and an application submitted in Welsh will not be treated less favourably than an application submitted in English. / Mae modd cyflwyno ceisiadau yn Gymraeg, ac ni fydd cais a gyflwynir yn Gymraeg yn cael ei drin yn llai ffafriol na chais a gyflwynir yn Saesneg.
Benefits at BBC Studios:
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 25 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
Contract: Fixed term contract until 26/3/21
Salary Band: Band E
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Studios, a global content company with British creativity at its heart, is a commercial subsidiary of the BBC Group. Formed in April 2018 by the merger of BBC Worldwide and BBC Studios, it spans content financing, development, production, sales, branded services and ancillaries. BBC Studios’ award-winning British programmes are internationally recognised across a broad range of genres and specialisms. It has offices in 22 markets globally, including six production bases in the UK and production bases and partnerships in a further nine countries around the world. The company, which makes 2500 hours of content a year, is a champion for British creativity around the world and a committed partner for the UK’s independent sector. BBC Studios has revenue of £1.4bn, and returns around £200m to the BBC Group annually, complementing the BBC’s licence fee and enhancing programmes for UK audiences.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from all individuals. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here