Here at BBC Worldwide we are looking for a Social Growth Editor to join the team. The role is a crucial part of the team, working with editors and overseeing a team of social media producers to deliver their plans.
The editor is the growth champion for the BBC.com Features sites (BBC Future, BBC Culture, BBC Earth, BBC Capital, BBC Travel and BBC Autos).
We are looking for someone with an eye on what is the next Facebook. You must be comfortable using Chartbeat or Hootsuite as you will be pitching to an editor, managing a paid campaign or brokering a partnership with a messaging app.
You will be responsible for identifying new audiences that the BBC should reach; creating and implementing a strategy to reach them and monitoring the performance of that plan.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Pinpointing and acquiring new audiences on social and beyond
- Distributing stories to new audiences
- Building partnerships inside and outside the BBC
- Helping to shape the editorial process to take into account new audiences – including, but not limited to, identifying new sources of stories, identifying topics and themes that will resonate with a social audience, commissioning content for use on social platforms.
- Analytics. Lots of analytics.
A deep understanding of social media, growing engaged communities, analytics and journalism is a must.
- Identify new audiences for the BBC on the web and create a strategy to acquire them
- Identify platforms that the BBC should be present on and build a relationship with the platform to distribute BBC content
- Help shape the editorial process to take into account social and new audiences – including, but not limited to, identifying new sources of stories, identifying topics and themes that will resonate with a social audience, commissioning content for sue on social platforms.
- Run and manage a team of social media producers who are responsible for day-to-day social media initiatives from posting and distributing content to live video.
- Identify and establish editorial partnerships with other web publishers that meet BBC standards and will lead to growth.
- Engage and interact with our communities across social platforms to determine what they want from the BBC.
- Working with site editors, create social content that is in keeping with the site’s tone, style and audience or identify opportunities where bespoke content would help deliver on KPIs.
- Using quantitative and qualitative sources, provide feedback on performance and engagement with BBC.com feature content on social media platforms to editors and commercial team.
- Ensure that all content or language published to BBC.com social media platforms adheres to BBC editorial guidelines
- Monitor competitive sites and social feeds for relevant editorial and social content.
- Build strong links within the BBC to ensure that resources are used effectively, we share best practice and that the strategy is at the forefront of the BBC’s digital growth strategy.
- Oversee paid social campaigns for BBC accounts.
- When required contribute to and execute social media campaigns and manage day-to-day operations on social channels.
Are you the right candidate?
- Strong experience of working in a digital environment including producing content for an online audience.
- Experience of working with social media including producing content across a range of different platforms
- Experience working as part of a digital news team desirable
- Must be entrepreneurial, a problem-solver, detailed reader and creative thinker
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to create and execute a growth strategy for social and editorial
- A deep understanding of the web and how best to promote content to an online audience
- Deep understanding of web analytics and ability to act on them
- Sound knowledge of social media best practices and the social media landscape
- Sound understanding of their relevant market
- Demonstrated knowledge or interest in digital trends in media, entertainment, and emerging technologies
- Sound understanding of the BBC brand
- Curiosity and enthusiasm about the digital media space
- Interest in science, technology OR culture and the arts a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Sound editorial judgement
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to work within established deadlines
- Ability to plan and manage competing deadlines and priorities
BS/BA/ in journalism or an unrelated degree with equivalent working experience
About the BBC
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in; commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world, In 2014/15, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £138.6m and headline sales of £1,001.8m with £226.5m returns to the BBC. The UK region delivers nearly a third of BBCW’s revenues (c£361.8m), across a broad range of sectors, including Channels, TV Distribution, Consumer Products, Live Events, Publishing and e-Commerce.