Social media journalist (Senior Journalist), BBC Future Planet
Future Planet is the new BBC.com site surfacing solutions-focused stories about sustainability, climate change and the environment from around the world. Future You is the new BBC.com site focused on health and wellness and aimed at a female audience under 40. Both websites will fall under the “parent” website BBC Future (bbc.com/future). Like BBC Future, they publish digital feature stories (not news); most stories are text, but there is also some video.
We have an exciting opportunity for a journalist with substantial social media experience, a passion for storytelling, basic skills in video shooting and editing, and an interest in health, wellness, the environment and sustainability to help us launch two new BBC.com feature sites: Future Planet and Future You.
- Develop and implement a social media strategy to support the launch and longevity of Future Planet and Future You.
- Create a distinctive voice for Future Planet and Future You on social media.
- Create high-quality, multimedia assets and posts that tell Future You and Future Planet stories in ways that speak to our target audiences on social (whether turning a statistic from a story into a shareable graph, a statement into a meme or a text story into an Instagram story).
- Re-cut digital videos on Future Planet and Future You for social media platforms that meet the highest editorial standards.
- Find stories that are the best fit for a social media environment, and execute telling those stories through reporting, writing and/or shooting and editing video and images, to use on social platforms.
- Actively generate ideas and seek out new stories for the websites themselves, in particular through using ‘social listening’, with potential opportunity to report and shoot or write them yourself.
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience as a journalist, ideally in generating and executing stories for a media publisher.
- Experience in social media, ideally in creating successful social media content for digital media companies specifically.
- Experience in launching new social media channels or growing online audiences is preferred, but not essential.
- At least basic skills in filming and editing video, ideally in shooting and editing social videos, digital videos or explainers.
- Interest in the subject areas covered by Future You and Future Planet.
- Knowledge of social media best practices, digital trends, entertainment and the social media/emerging technologies landscape.
- Sound editorial judgement based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive editorial guidelines.
Contract type: 12 month Fixed Term Contract
Location: London, Broadcast Centre
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here