BBC World Service is an international multimedia broadcaster, part of BBC News, delivering a wide range of language and regional services and working increasingly with other parts of BBC News to serve global audiences. It uses multiple platforms to reach its weekly audience of 320 million globally, including radio, TV and digital platforms.
We are looking for a web developer who is enthusiastic about digital journalism to join BBC Americas Visual Journalism Hub based in London. This multidisciplinary team is made up of two journalists (an editor and an interactive journalist), one UX designer and one visual artist. The team creates fantastic visual and interactive content for and in collaboration with BBC Brasil and BBC Mundo, two digital-only services that cater for Latin American audiences.
As the developer in this team you will be responsible for:
- Building technical solutions to meet the requirements of the local design and editorial team.
- Assessing the technical feasibility of projects and giving realistic time estimations for the work required.
- Escalating any technical queries and all technical design where new or innovative approaches are being used for review to the wider technical team.
- Liaising with the wider Software development team in BBC News to ensure that all deployments to the live servers are peer reviewed and managed via GitHub with a London based Lead Developer across the process.
You will be based in London but you will also be a member of a wider international development team and will take part in that community. You will have the freedom to work on locally defined projects, but will be supported by structures and processes that ensure you will have excellent training and development opportunities and are always backed up by a team who will help you produce work to the highest standard.
The Ideal Candidate
To be considered for this role you will possess the following;
- A knowledge of developing large, modular applications along with the ability to write in ES6.
- Experience of webpack and building robust experiences would be a plus.
- Support all browsers with core content, ensure compliance with screen readers, in accordance with WAI standards, etc
- Great understanding of UX concerns. We want smart devs who can provide valuable feedback to designers to improve wireframes and designs.
- Experience of working in an agile or collaborative way.
- Familiarity in using GitHub workflows
- It would be advantageous if you had a healthy interest in emerging platform level technologies – queues, microservices, caches etc. along with an enthusiasm for News.
- A level of familiarity with AWS or similar Cloud Infrastructure and associated tooling.
- Understanding of CI, experience with using a CI system (Hudson, Jenkins, CodeBuild).
Contract type: 3 Month FTC
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here