Software Engineer - BBC Audience Platform
BBC Audience Platform is one of the BBC's biggest and most ambitious online projects. The ultimate aim being to personalise the online content, and engage more effectively with our audiences. Our services are transforming the BBC into a data driven organisation supporting the delivery of BBC’s services such as iPlayer, News, Sport, CBBC/ CBeebies, Weather, Radio and TV, etc. Our tech stack is largely Java, Node.js and AWS.
In BBC Audience Platform we use the latest tech, with teams that inspire innovation and autonomy, and striving towards Continuous Delivery. Our products span the whole of the BBC and reach millions of users! Not only will you be working on great projects and with cutting edge technologies you will be surrounded by a team of like-minded Technology professionals from whom you can learn and grow. We regularly have Technical Brown bag sessions and try to have frequent Hackathons. This is an environment where we love to share ideas, challenge the traditional with our goal of taking the BBC on the journey to be a Digital First organization.
The primary focus of this role is on the creation and maintenance of RESTful web services, written in Java and deployed on AWS. You will be expected to be familiar with technologies such as Spring, Camel, JUnit, Cucumber, Mockito. Knowledge of AWS technologies, including S3, SQS, DynamoDB and Lambda will help to get you started quickly, and experience of another language like NodeJS or Scala will be a significant plus.
Being involved in the full life cycle of the products, you’ll need to be able to adapt quickly to new or changing requirements, produce rapid prototypes and communicate effectively with the team as a whole, not just other engineers. We’re agile so need you to be too! You will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, with a Product Owner, Business Analyst and Project Manager along with dedicated QA and our colleagues in User Experience & Design. We receive high levels of traffic and you will be responsible for ensuring the services remain performant and scalable to meet the ever growing demands.
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrable experience of engineering projects that you’ve delivered (provide links where possible)
- Strong object-oriented Java skills, including Spring, Camel, JUnit, Mockito
- A team player who helps others to grow and improve
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience of deploying production code in a Continuous Integration environment
- Experience with Cloud Services and their associated technologies, ideally AWS
- Knowledge of working with Git
If you have some but not all of these skills, we’d still be interested in hearing from you . We are looking for people with the right attitude and offer amazing training!
Join us to deliver robust products at scale that in a modern AWS environment as part of a great multi-disciplinary agile team. Help us to deliver the solutions robustly and securely at scale – eg systems with more than 25,000tps, dealing with 2 billion data points in real time daily by the end of the year, delivering tens of millions of alerts in under a minute, and large scale events such as voting on Strictly Come Dancing and Glastonbury on iPlayer.
- Excellent career progression: the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious staff to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities: our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community: we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges: we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.