BBC iPlayer is one of the UKs most well-known and loved brands. Our mission is to secure the Internet future of BBC.
It is an exciting time to join the team, as our mission is to be the future of BBC TV. This is a place where your work impacts millions of iPlayer users every day. You will have an opportunity to work on software at a scale that is hard to find in the country.
Were looking for passionate Software Engineers to join our fast paced cross-discipline agile team to make iPlayer the indispensable video destination. As a fullstack engineer, you will be tackling a wide range of technical challenges that drive our products forward.
- Design, develop & release working software using best practices
- Review and Pair-Program with other team members
- Learn new technologies and adapt to change
- Promote skills and knowledge sharing
why choose us?
There are great opportunities to grow your career within the team and BBC. We believe strongly in developing talent from within the team. We have training and conference budget and 10% time for you to explore and learn new technologies.
We provide you with a great work-life balance and a competitive work package. We allow for flexible working including remote working, 35-hour week and 26 days of annual leave plus opportunity to buy more. We are happy to consider flexible work based on your personal situation.
Are you the right candidate?
Essential Skills & Experience
- Creating complex and performant UIs (e.g. CSS and animations)
- Building modern web applications (e.g. ReactJS)
- Server-side development (e.g. NodeJS)
- Learning new software skills and working with new technologies
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Developing software with Redux or similar state managers
- Developing software with security and accessibility in mind
- Developing software using TDD/BDD techniques
- Working with Cloud technologies
- Working and collaborating in cross-discipline teams
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here