Renowned and loved throughout the UK and the world, the BBC has become a household name that delivers online content to more than 25 million people globally, and we are proud to say that we help make that magic happen! In TV Platforms, we work closely with all UK platform and major global TV device partners to ensure that our audiences have a high-quality iPlayer, Sounds, and Red Button products available to them, on the widest range of certified TV devices. Streaming of video content and the number of supporting devices is growing exponentially. Our challenge is to integrate and innovate with the rapidly expanding and evolving industry, whilst ensuring high availability and the quality of our products. We are a highly collaborative team of engineers, testers, UX designers, and product owners. We value our engineers, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as ‘10% time’ - allowing dedicated time for self-improvement, learning, and innovation. We take the time to reflect and improve on how we’re working through team retrospectives and mentoring. We’re a hard-working team who are supportive, care about each other, and promote a healthy work-life balance with opportunities for flexible working hours and a friendly working environment
How do we work?
We are an agile team and we do releases almost every day. We support this by making sure our testing is robust and that our pipelines are steadfast. We monitor our systems in production to understand the impact of change every time we do a release.
We work in multi-discipline crews with Software Engineers, Testers, Product Owners, and Delivery, in a respectful and collaborative environment. We encourage a culture of team empowerment that supports self-development for each individual.
Join the BBC iPlayer & Sounds Cloud Engineering team crafting simple and effective solutions to solve business problems within our AWS cloud estate.
Our goal is to create automated solutions and/or educate our wider organisation to streamline the process of developing applications for the teams creating BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds.
Within this role you have the opportunity to truly make a difference to the development practices and security within the division.
The Ideal Candidate
- Working experience of either AWS Cloud Administration or Software Engineering in a large scale organisation.
- Demonstrable technical and analytical experience working across business functions (Development / Product Owners / User Experience)
- Experience writing and documenting maintainable software within collaborative environments
- Competence in Test Driven Development.
- Ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and to work with new technologies
- An appreciation of BBC output and a passion for technology in the new media environment
- Experience releasing software to production including load testing and threat modelling.
- Hold a current AWS certification
- Unix or Linux system administration experience
- Understanding of implementing Non-functional requirements.
- Knowledge of Internet protocols, routing and technologies.
- Ability to present complex solutions effectively to differing technical abilities within both large and small group settings
Contract type: Full Time, Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here