Software Engineer - Corporate Digital & Applications
The Corporate Digital & Applications team produce key strategic web applications for staff across the BBC. Many of these are high profile, and involve senior stakeholders in areas like HR, News and programmes teams. The BBC is going through an extraordinary strategic change and the web apps team is at the heart of the BBC’s commitment to transparency and self-service tools.
The team feels a bit like a start-up within BBC D+E; we work quickly to build things that change the way people work, while following modern software development best practice.
The wider team is around 30 people, this role is in a small friendly sub-team.
We're looking for a web developer to join the BBC Internal Software Engineering team.
Your role will be creating the next generation of internal systems using responsive component-based designs. You’ll be creating hyper-usable web applications that melt red tape and bureaucratic processes; this is the business end of “Digital Transformation.”
We expect you to have experience writing some combination of JS, Node, HTML, CSS and React and of using best-practice web development frameworks and standards.
If you have potential and a flair for websites we’d like to hear from you.
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience creating front-end websites
- Demonstrable knowledge of HTML & CSS
- Demonstrates a growth mindset and openness to change.
- Interest in modern web development tools, technologies and techniques.
- Experience consuming data from and interacting with REST APIs.
- Experience of version control systems (Git, Subversion, etc).
- Experience of CI deployment pipelines
- Experience of developing dynamic web-apps based on atomic components.
- Understanding of explain Agile principles.
- Experience producing front end applications with React
- Understanding and Experience of AWS.
Contract type: FTC/Attachment
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here