Software Engineer - Data Solutions, BBC News (CPW)
We are looking for an enthusiastic software engineer to join the Data Solutions team working on Telescope.
Telescope is an in-house analytics tool born in the BBC newsroom and growing to serve the rest of the organisation thanks to ITS friendly language and bespoke charting for easy to understand visual data.
The tool is helping to deliver strategic organisational goals around engaging young audiences and expanding our global reach. We hope to support our content creators in their efforts by ensuring that as many of them as possible have the relevant audience data to hand in order to make better, quicker decisions about commissioning, optimisation and distribution.
The Data Solutions team is made up of both engineers and data scientists, and we work closely together in order to ensure that we are delivering accurate and meaningful data to our creators.
As the successful candidate, you will be joining an agile team who work in bi-weekly sprints, using Scrum boards, following guides and designs from our user experience team. You will be responsible for your own documentation and tests, and will use Github to commit your code to be reviewed by your peers. Be prepared to review other people's code too!
You will be using the following technologies:
Front end – React, Typescript, Styled Components (SASS), Jest, Apollo, D3
Back end - NodeJS, ES2018, GraphQL, MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Redis
Cloud - AWS (EC2, S3, SQS, SES, Lambda, Cloudfront), Jenkins, Github
Don't worry if you don't know all of these, just be prepared to learn!
Are you the right candidate?
We are looking for an engineer with a broad knowledge of web technologies however it is not essential for the candidate to have a computer science degree or enterprise experience. We want to meet folks who have enthusiasm for code, enjoy the task of problem solving and have a strong willingness to learn. Additionally, we invite engineers who excel in backend code but want to level up their front end skills and vice versa.
When writing your application, please tell us about any of the following experiences:
- Designing and developing software using different programming languages
- Consuming or creating RESTful or GraphQL APIs
- Security practices while developing cloud-based services
- Accessibility practices while developing websites
- Learning on the Job
- Troubleshooting bugs
- Pairing with and mentoring other engineer to share knowledge and practices
- Testing strategies
Additionally, any experience in the following would strongly valued:
- ETL Pipelines
- Deployment Pipelines
- Mentoring, presenting and evangelism
- Python, R, SQL, Java, Scala
- Architectural system design
- Database Administration
- Cloud administration
- Processing big data
- Visualising data
We’re happy to discuss flexible and part time working.
Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to.
Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
Based: London W12
Salary Band C
Continuing - Permanent
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible or part time 20-35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.