Who's it with:
The BBC Audience Platform teams have been transforming how the BBC engages with its audience by delivering more of the content they love. We do this by delivering a cloud based API suite of personalisation and participation services that fuel our big data solutions. Our services include, BBC account, recommendations, data storage, notifications, participation services such as comments and voting and data warehouse solutions. Our services are transforming the BBC into a data driven organisation supporting the delivery of BBC’s services such as iPlayer, News, Sport, Children, Weather, Radio and TV. Our tech stack is largely Java, Node.js and AWS.
This new role is based in the BBC Account team. This consists of a team of dedicated software engineers from a variety of development backgrounds such as front-end, video games, and back-end API engineering. Our team’s applications are the gateway to personalisation services for the whole of the
BBC, from the website to the mobile applications such as iPlayer and iPlayer Radio.
What You’ll Be Doing:
development. You’ll be writing unit and integration tests for your code using Mocha, Chai and Sinon to enable continuous integration and deliver your new features to our live audience as quickly as possible. As our applications are extremely high traffic, you will help the team to ensure high
performance for our large scale events, such as when the voting opens on Strictly Come Dancing and when iPlayer hits peak viewership during the headliner sets at Glastonbury. You’ll need to adapt to new or changing requirements, be able to produce rapid prototypes, and effectively communicate with the team as a whole.
The Ideal Candidate
What You’ll Need:
- Agile work practices
- Testing frameworks: Mocha, Sinon, Chai (or similar)
- Test-driven development experience
- Amazon Web Services
- Functional programming knowledge
- Strong communication skills
- A team player who understands the value of shared code ownership
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of continuous deployment
- Secure development
Why will you want it:
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the dynamic, agile team that are tasked with providing features that allow our audiences to interact with the BBC. Our products span the whole of the BBC and reach millions of users! Not only will you be working on amazing projects and with
cutting edge technologies you will be surrounded by a team of like-minded Technology professional’s from whom you can learn and grow. This is an environment where we love to share ideas, challenge the traditional with our goal of taking the BBC on the journey to be a Digital First
- Excellent career progression: The BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities: Our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community: We have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges: We work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
We have multiple roles to hire - a Midweight and a Senior Developer.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.