Software Engineer - Media Analytics
OTG Media Analytics is a team of data engineers that designs and develops software services that provide insights into the quality of service our audience is receiving when watching or listening to BBC content across our range of products.
This includes a data pipeline that provides near real-time operational views on how phones, tablets, computers and TVs consume BBC audio and video. Alongside this is a service that measures the effectiveness of BIDI, our in-house CDN (Content Delivery Network), compared against third party CDNs.
As a software engineer in the team, you will design and implement resilient and performant solutions for these services. You are keen to learn new data engineering skills and technologies. You will also be excited about solving difficult problems such as those that arise from the size and cardinality of very large data sets.
These services help drive strategic and operational decisions that will improve audience experience and maintain cost effectiveness for products like iPlayer and BBC Sounds.
We are a motivated group of software engineers with a supportive engineering culture. We embrace open source technologies and are passionate about performance and reliability.
- Developing and maintaining the BBC audio/video distribution analytics software services.
- Contributing to the design and architecture of these systems.
- Participating in the on-call rota for the software systems the team supports. This will be once every four to six weeks, depending on team size.
- Employing software engineering and development best practices.
- Pairing with and mentoring other developers to share knowledge and practices.
Are you the right candidate?
The successful candidate would ideally have:
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative attitude.
- Proficiency in Java development with a willingness to learn Python.
- A strong command of SQL.
- Industry experience with one or more of:
- Cloud technologies (e.g. AWS, Google)
- Data science techniques (e.g. statistical techniques, regression analysis)
- Data engineering techniques (e.g. data pipelines using streaming technologies such as Apache Flink or Google Dataflow).
This role would suit either:
- A software engineer who knows their way around Java as well as some Cloud technologies and wants to learn more about data engineering at scale.
- A software engineer who knows their way around Java, who has experience with data science techniques and would like to learn best practices for designing and developing Cloud services.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: White City
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here