Software Engineer - Media Services
Do you want to help #BuildTheBBC?
With 95% of the UK using the BBC every week, we’re the highest reaching media provider in the UK, driven by the strength of our Broadcast portfolio across TV and Radio. Beyond the UK we’re building one of the world’s biggest global media brands, reaching 372m people a week worldwide across TV, Radio and online.
Using cutting-edge, cloud-based technologies and working within a devops culture, Media Services is the team responsible for publishing all of the BBC's online audio and video content, powering iPlayer, iPlayer Radio, News and Sport. We handle live content, “catch-up”, and podcasts and support over 1000 different devices, including PCs, phones, tablets, games consoles, and smart TVs. The iPlayer and iPlayer Radio apps are installed on over 30 million phones and tablets, and we handle 13 million plays per day. Every day we ingest and publish over 1000 hours of catchup content, and publish 3-4TB of new files.
You will join a highly Agile, fast-moving and motivated team of engineers who take pride and responsibility for the components they build and run in production. Most of your work will run in the cloud. You will be concerned with writing comprehensive tests for all workflows, peer review and contributing to the best practice and culture of our engineering team
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications – our team is working primarily in the back-end systems of the BBC
- Review and give feedback on others’ code
- Write appropriate tests using automated test-driven techniques for ensuring code quality
- Effectively participate in the team's software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience with Java-based delivery. Industry experience outside of media is very welcome!
- Experience of agile methodologies and full product lifecycle
- Effective collaboration within a team – ability to speak up, challenge, agree and commit
- Experience with cloud-based software delivery
Grade 7 (Proposed band C)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, healthcare, gym and much more.
About the BBC
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100-year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.