Have you ever wondered what foundations power the BBC’s online Glastonbury coverage, or the BBC’s Olympics live streams or, indeed, BBC iPlayer? BBC Design & Engineering Editorial Services provide editorial staff with web-based tools to enable them to realise their visions, leading to the success and universal industry praise for those propositions which are so popular with our audiences in the UK and abroad. We are an innovative team using industry best practices and cutting-edge services to shape the future of the BBC’s audience-facing online presence by creating tools that are loved and valued by thousands of BBC editors, producers and journalists.
Working in an agile and multi-disciplinary team the successful candidate will be expected to produce enterprise-level code for Service-Oriented and Message-Oriented Architectures with Relational DBMs for Amazon Web Services cloud-based deployments and partake in code reviews, design meetings and brainstorming sessions. The application of industry best practices such as test-driven development, continuous integration, continuous delivery, pair programming and microservices is expected in order to produce robust, scalable, reusable and sustainable systems. Keeping abreast of the latest industry and open source developments in order to bring new ideas to the table and help shape the future of BBC Design & Engineering will be highly regarded.
Join BBC Design & Engineering Editorial Services to learn from the best and lead the rest.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications.
- Review and give feedback on others’ code.
- Write appropriate tests using automated test-driven techniques to ensure code quality.
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools.
- Support system integration in its operating environment.
- Write and review technical documentation.
- Help to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle, optionally including out-of-hours support for incident resolution.
- Participate in the team's agile planning and delivery process.
- Effectively participate in the team’s software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery.
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies.
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrable experience writing and maintaining robust production software
- Competence in two or more mainstream development languages and frameworks
- Competence with one or more mainstream development and deployment tool chains (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Knowledge of the web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Competence in test driven development and broader testing & QA concerns
- Competence in developing for operational concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, security considerations)
- Experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- Effective collaboration within a team – ability to speak up, challenge, agree and commit
- Experience of database design and use in software applications
- Takes responsibility for driving tasks to completion
- Understanding of designing and implementing solutions for non-functional requirements
- Worked in a professional software development environment on several projects (including experience in testing, design and release)
- Experience of releasing software to a production environment
- Participated in reviews and inspections of code (sat with a peer or someone more senior reviewing your code)
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, Bristol or Cardiff
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here