Software Engineer - Radio (Proteus) Java
We’re looking for a talented software engineer to join the TV and Radio Engineering department, working on the Proteus project in West London.
Proteus is the system through which radio programmes are commissioned and scheduled by the BBC. It supports business critical workflows and has a user community of over 2, 500 internal BBC users working across all our networks (national, local and World Service) and over 800 independent production companies from whom the BBC commissions radio programmes. The Proteus engineering team supports and maintains the system and is responsible for its ongoing development. We’re a multidisciplinary team, and we follow a sprint-based process where we aim to deliver useful functionality to our users in an agile manner, without compromising on quality and standards.
We’re part of the TV and Radio Engineering product group, which means you will be working alongside the teams responsible for making iPlayer TV and Radio, Radio network homepages, BBC Music and /programmes.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer who cares about creating performance and accessible applications, values communication and collaborative approaches to finding the right solution, and is willing and excited to learn new skills and share their knowledge with others.
· Develop new features to support BBC Staff’s commissioning and scheduling of radio programmes.
· Help monitor performance of new functionality and offer ideas on how it could be improved
· Extend Proteus's existing RESTful API to allow integration with the Datahub project
· Migrate the Proteus application onto new, service-managed platform
· Work closely with Technical architects to shape and define the future of the Proteus product
· Advise product managers and project managers on the complexities of planned work, including providing time and resource estimates in the planning of projects
· Support the team’s move to a DevOps model of working
· Learn new technologies in monthly hack-days and apply your learning to projects where appropriate
· On occasion you may be asked to assist the BBC’s frontline technology support teams in coping with user problems which are specific to the Proteus system, including attendance on out-of-hours conference calls which are scheduled to support on-air activities
The Ideal Candidate
You’ll need the following skills to be a productive member of the team:
· Good knowledge and experience of Java EE development
· Experience of working with Spring, Hibernate, Maven
· Knowledge and experience of running Tomcat
· Experience of supporting, modifying, and maintaining systems and code developed by others
· Experience of writing unit tests and TDD
· A willingness to learn new technologies and tools and share you learning with the wider team
Continuing / Perm
Grade 7 (proposed band C)
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.