BBC is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved brands. The TV & Radio product teams build some of the most used products in BBC including BBC iPlayer, iPlayer Radio, Music. Our mission is to secure the Internet future of BBC.
It is an exciting time to join the team as we’ve ambitious goals to be the number one online TV and audio service in the UK. This is a place where your work impacts millions of iPlayer users every day. You will have an opportunity to work on software at a scale that is hard to find in the country.
We’re looking for passionate Software Engineers to join our fast pace cross-discipline agile team iterating on our key products.
You will be a fullstack engineer tackling wide ranges of technical challenges that drive our products forward.
Are you the right candidate?
Essential Skills & Experience
• Developing software using TDD/BDD techniques
• Proficient in building modern front-end interfaces (react.js)
• Server-side development experience (node.js)
• Ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and to work with new technologies
Desirable Skills & Experience
• Good working knowledge of Continuous Delivery
• Experienced of agile delivery practices
• Experienced of AWS technologies
• Contributions to Open Source Software (e.g. active GitHub profile)
What we offer in return
This is a place where your work impacts millions of users every day. You will have an opportunity to work on software at a scale that is hard to find in the country. We provide you with a great work-life balance and a competitive work package. There is also great opportunity to grow your career within the team or wider organisation.
As part of BBC TV & Radio, you will be at the heart of the Internet first BBC. You will also have the opportunity for promotion twice a year as recognition of our fast paced industry.
Our world class Academy is here to ensure you have the training needed to advance in your career from leadership training to technical training such as AWS, cloud architecture and micro-services to name a few.
G7 (proposed band C)
Continuing / Perm
- Excellent career progression: the BBC offers great opportunities for staff to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities: our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community: we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical opportunities: We work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, healthcare, gym and much more.
About the BBC
BBC Design + Engineering
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.