Software Engineer (Test) - TV & Radio
The TV & Radio Product Group in BBC Design & Engineering works on multiple products and systems to deliver innovative and exciting online experiences around the best TV & radio content in the world. We work on iPlayer, Radio and programmes web sites and support in house systems that allow the BBC to schedule radio programmes.
The team is responsible for a wied range of pages including the radio network homepages ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1 ),music event sites https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/events/by/date/2017 ), BBC Music(http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/ ), programme pages (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00c000j) and the responsive web iPlayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer as well as in house systems.
We work in an agile environment, with several eams developing new features for release against both scrum and Kanban lifecycles. Our goal is to develop imaginative and engaging new features for our product portfolio, delivering across multiple devices without compromising on quality,standards and accessibility, serving our 15m+ weekly unique audience and driving up audience reach.
About the team
We are based in the London BBC offices at Broadcast centre. It’s a fast paced environment, with lots of cross team working – juggling new requirements with changing dependencies from other BBC teams. We relish being under pressure, and we don’t shy away from a challenge! One of our biggest strengths is pulling together and working as a team to get releases out on time, to budget and to the highest quality.
We’re also passionate about personal development and creativity. We run regular ‘hack days’ where the whole team has chance to work on projects outside of BAU tasks and we’ve had several experiences of hack day projects making it to Live.
In addition to organised hack days, we encourage everyone in the team to contribute towards decisions developers and testers are encouraged to seek out new tools, technologies and ways of working, to continually improve our processes.
Why should you join us?
We’re passionate about testing – and we’re lucky to work in a team where everyone appreciates the test team’s efforts. We work extremely closely with the developers and encourage lots of test/dev collaboration.
We work in a very unique environment, where we have to satisfy lots of different user needs – this includes covering many different browsers, platforms, mobile devices and geographical areas whilst also ensuring our products are accessible to users with additional requirements such as assistive technologies.
No two days will ever be the same – one day you may be pairing with a developer and automating scenarios using Ruby or Java, whilst the next you are manually testing functionality using a screenreader. You’ll also be expected to write Gherkin feature files, write exemplary defect reports and collaborate with other testers and disciplines.
We are looking for an experienced tester with a strong technical background. The ability to communicate with stakeholders in a clear concise way is very important, as is the ability to prioritise tasks and cope well under pressure. You’ll be comfortable with automated and manual testing, happy writing code in either Ruby or Java and be familiar with frameworks such as cucumber. You’ll be responsible for validating the functional and nonfunctional behaviour of our products, ensuring what we produce meets the level of quality we aspire to.
This is a great opportunity to help shape products that are used and enjoyed by a massive, increasingly global audience.
● Happily move between development,automation testing & manual testing
● Examine and validate the functional and nonfunctional behaviour of frontend and serverside software
● Participate in the architecture and design of features early in the development cycle,influencing it to drive quality and adherence to the specification
● Raise descriptive, analysed and meaningful defect reports
● Participate in daily bug triage meeting, advising development and product stakeholder on the severity/impact of defects found
● Debug issues using appropriate tools and techniques e.g. inspecting error logs, using browser debugging tools, inspecting the code
● Work in a cross discipline scrum team and contributing to the team in terms of processand rituals
● Investigate and resolve problems in a timely manner, liaising with the appropriate stakeholders where necessary
● Contribute to the automation suite and write robust, efficient, optimised Ruby code
● Peer review others team members Ruby code and feature files
● Pair with members of the development and product team to create feature files for new functionality in a BDD style
● Create effective functional tests
● Carry out exploratory testing – both structured and unstructured
● Work closely with the product owners and development team to ensure we deliver a high quality product
● Have a good understanding of various tools and technologies along with their benefits/drawbacks. Suggest improvements to the test approach where appropriate
● Work collaboratively with other testers and teams to ensure the spread of good practices and knowledge sharing
● Contribute to discussions on test process and procedural improvements
● Learn and develop
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience with coding – Java/Ruby most useful.
- Experience with building and maintaining test automation suite. Ghenrkin/Cucumber/Selenium most useful here
- Some experience of exploratory testing and an understanding of test techniques to derive test cases
- Good communication and collaboration skills
- Passionate about the end-to-end audience experience
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.