Software Engineer in Test (Audience Platform)
In BBC Audience Platform our services are transforming the BBC into a data-driven organisation supporting the delivery of BBC’s personalised services such as iPlayer, Sounds, News, Sport, CBBC/ CBeebies, Weather, etc. We are at the heart of BBC’s digital future!
You will be part of BBC Audience Platform - Data Team. Audience Platform Data is responsible for collating Data from across around the BBC (that's around a billion rows of data a day!!) and presenting it in a format to our internal stakeholders that will help them to build personalised services for BBC’s customers. Data Team builds Java, python apps and other tools to transform Data, so testing wouldn't be focussed just on Data but as well on the quality of the apps.
As a Software Engineer in Test in the team you will be supported by the Senior Software Engineers in Test and other engineers within the team, thus will have great opportunities to grow technically and career wise too. You will be working very closely with Developers, BA, Product Owner and other disciplines of the team. It will also involve working towards best practices for Testing and Automation while helping the team to achieve great quality. Testing can be varied across the team from Testing on Data pipelines to a significant amount of RESTful API. The testing tool set is primarily Java, Serenity (and Cucumber-JVM) and java libraries for AWS SDK and REST APIs. We also use Gatling for performance testing with Scala.
The role will entail understanding the feature requirements and implementing automated tests as well using exploratory and innovative practices for manual testing. Your understanding of testing of APIs and software systems will hugely benefit the team to deliver the new Data solutions.
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience with JAVA Programming Language and a good understanding of Object Oriented Concepts
- Experience with Automated Testing and Test Frameworks
- Experience with RESTful API Testing
- Experienced in Testing Software products
- Working knowledge of SQL
- Recent experience working in an Agile environment
- Experience with a Continuous Integration Tool like Jenkins
- TDD or Unit Testing
- Gatling and Scala
- Experience working with AWS SDK
- An interest in Testing Data (previous experience isn’t essential)
Join us to deliver robust products at scale that in a modern AWS environment as part of a great multi-disciplinary agile team.
Contract type: Permanent - full time
Location: London, Salford, Glasgow or Cardiff
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here