Software Engineer in Test - Partner Engineering
Partner Engineering is one of 3 teams in the Partner Devices area.
It is charged with the Engineering and technical engagement with our partners. We work closely with companies such as Amazon, Nintendo, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Sky, Virgin Media, Vestel, YouView and many more; enabling amazing experiences for our audiences on as many platforms as possible.
The Partner Engineering mission is to support the validation of our Technical aspirations against Industry potential and the establishment of ownership of partners device’s problems.
This mission and the nature of our work means members of the team have to be flexible and able to context switch to investigate issues and engineer solutions. Working in a collaborative and agile environment. We value our staff, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as '10% time’ - allowing dedicated time for self-improvement, learning and innovation. We take the time to reflect and improve on how we’re working through team retrospectives and mentoring. We’re a hard-working team who are supportive, care about each other, and promote a healthy work-life balance with opportunities for flexible working hours and a friendly working environment.
This mission and the nature of our work means members of the team have to be flexible and able to context switch to investigate issues and engineer solutions. Working in a collaborative and agile environment.
This role will see a successful candidate:
- Understanding partner raised support cases and triaging the issue for PEng and/or other teams in the department
- Working with other teams on a solution
- Working with agile project manager to ensure resolution/outcome is achieved.
- Contributing to the creation and maintenance of automated testing
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools.
- Structured and logical approach in triaging and qualifying the issues for Partner Engineering.
- Help and support in identifying departmental team of responsibility for a triaged issue and support transfer of issue to team
- Participate in the team's agile planning and delivery process.
- Participate in the team’s software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing, and continuous delivery.
- Learn new technologies and keep informed of existing technologies.
- Understand raised partner support cases and provide high level summary of issues and areas of impact
Are you the right candidate?
- Strong commercial experience Node.js for automation
- Commercial experience with REST APIs
- Commercial experience with Docker, AWS, Jenkins
- Experience with broadcast reception devices, such as set-top boxes and Smart Televisions
- Experience working with IP connected set-top and Smart Television device
- Embedded software development/testing experience of any kind
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here