Software Engineer in Test - iPlayer & Sounds
Renowned and loved throughout the UK and the world, the BBC has become a household name which delivers online content to more than 25 million people globally, and we are proud to say that we help make that magic happen!
In TV Platforms, we work with some of the UK’s most popular interactive services on televisions, shaping and implementing key functionality for the BBC’s iPlayer, Sport, News and Red button products. We are a dedicated team who is passionate about delivering quality services with a smooth and enjoyable user journey.
We are a highly collaborative team of engineers, testers, UX designers and product owners. We value our engineers, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as '10% time’ - allowing dedicated time for self-improvement, learning and innovation. We take the time to reflect and improve on how we’re working through team retrospectives and mentoring. We’re a hard-working team who are supportive, care about each other, and promote a healthy work-life balance with opportunities for flexible working hours and a friendly working environment.
How we work?
We are an agile team and we do releases almost every day. We support this by making sure our testing is robust and that our pipelines are steadfast. We monitor our systems in production to understand the impact of change everytime we do a release.
We work in multi-discipline crews with Software Engineers, Testers, Product owners and Delivery, in a respectful and collaborative environment. We encourage a culture of team empowerment that supports self-development for each individual.
As a Software Engineer in Test you will be expected to:
- work with teams, shaping products and systems then planning and executing tests using the most appropriate test approach. Ensuring that the software delivered is fit-for-purpose in the planned timescales.
- contribute to the design, implementation and advocating the use of automation frameworks.
- ensure that high value is achieved from Test automation relative to the investment made.
- evaluate existing solutions and build new tools to support delivery
- find solutions when issues arise or when change is required.
- create and manage our Test Data, stubs and harnesses.
- work with other disciplines to integrate components into systems.
- validate the system as a whole to ensure it delivers the business requirements and benefit, reporting status against schedule.
- have an ability and willingness to determine when to automate tests and when to adopt a manual approach to testing.
- create detailed and accurate bug/defect tickets.
- contribute in troubleshooting product issues and providing accurate information to aid fixes.
- champion quality, continually improve team processes and ensure it adheres to overall Test Strategy.
- keep up to date developments and best practices within development, testing and new media.
Are you the right candidate?
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- 3+ years of experience in Test with focus on delivering quality
- Good understanding of building and testing TV / Web / Mobile applications
- Excellent development skills and experience building highly scalable, full stack applications (ideally in Node.js)
- Experience of Agile working environments, pairing and working within a collaborative team
- Experience with performance optimization tools
- Competence in translating product requirements into technical solutions
- Experience in building and improving automated test frameworks.
- Experience in creating automated tests within a Continuous Integration environment e.g. Jenkins, AWS CodeBuild, Go CD
- Practical experience of source control tools e.g. Github
- Good understanding of web technologies and tools e.g. XML, HTML, CSS, JSON, REST, React, AngularJS , Node.js, Casperjs, Puppeteer…
- Experience of using network tools, e.g. Wireshark, Charles…
- Performance or security testing experience is an advantage.
- Experience of working with and influencing agile process across disciplines, Kanban, Scrum…
- Experience of creating and improving tools.
- Writing Tests, automated or manual tests as appropriate.
- Experience in developing Test Plans, Test Scripts, Defining Test Data and Reports
- Experience of test and issue management tools e.g. TestRail, Jira, Quality Centre, TestLink….
- Ability to coach and mentor junior team members.
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.