Software Engineer – Production Toolkit (PHP / Laravel / AWS / MySQL)
The BBC currently has an exciting Web Software Engineer opportunity within the Production Toolkit team.
We work across TV and Content Production to deliver effective web applications to enable continuous improvement in the BBC. To do this we require a talented, enthusiastic developer that has good technical understanding, and has experience working in an agile team on web products.
We are a small team, who like to work together to deliver applications that exceed our customer’s expectations. The work can be varied taking you from a story continuity application to an event-planning tool, and working with clients such as EastEnders and Doctor Who.
You’ll be working closely with the Product Manager and the rest of the development team to build a mixture of new web applications, and improving/enhancing existing ones.
You'll join a team of six developers, a senior tester and support analyst. This is a team effort with everyone having a part to play and a voice to shape the products we make. You will report directly to the Product Manager.
We are looking for someone with a back-end, or full stack focus, ideally in PHP/Laravel/AWS/MySQL, that has experience working in an agile team.
- Develop and implement tasks from JIRA for new and existing applications.
- Work closely with the rest of the development team.
- Work closely with the Product Manager to help shape our applications based on customer feedback.
- Write and develop test cases to support their development
- Code review other developers work.
Are you the right candidate?
- Web development experience with a back-end or full stack focus.
- Experience with PHP/Laravel.
- Experience optimising SQL queries / experience with MySQL.
- Infrastructure experience desirable AWS and/or Linux.
- Experience working in agile team.
- You like working as part of a team to create a great product.
- Experience working in or with TV production desirable.
- Any experience with Angular / React a bonus.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from all individuals. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here