Software Engineering Manager - Data Solutions CPW
Responsible for recruiting and leading a small number of skilled multi-disciplined teams and for the
planning, design, implementation and operation of BBC software products and services
- Leading software engineering teams in the design and development of high-performance software systems and consumer facing products
- Recruit, mentor, coach and manage staff, ensuring the quality of their work and professional development. Provide technical leadership and direction to peers and colleagues
- Accountable for ensuring the software is properly monitored, supported and maintained, including maintaining resources and skills for resolving issues throughout the lifecycle
- Working with other technical leaders in the broader organisation to define and implement the operating environment
- Working with other technical leaders in the broader organisation to define, document and distribute best practice and standards
- Work with the project management team to ensure teams operate effective development and delivery processes that support the timely delivery of their roadmaps
- Own contracts with vendors, negotiate and influence to hold them accountable for the terms of the agreement
- Maintain knowledge of industry and competitor developments
- Lead the team to have an effective vision, strategy and business case that supports their product and wider divisional and BBC strategies
- Clearly communicate the product strategy, plans, objectives and performance measures, progress against plans and budget to all interested and invested parties – tailoring communication as appropriate to ensure relevance to the audience
Are you the right candidate?
- Significant experience in management of software engineering teams, including recruitment, mentoring and development, deal with multiple priorities, manage conflict and influence to ensure that projects / assignments are properly commissioned and delivered into the business
- Extensive knowledge of designing and writing robust software for large scale applications in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles
- Expertise in developing for operational concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, security considerations)
- Knowledge of development processes, including agile
- Expertise in test driven development
- Leadership experience of project working and professional software
- Expertise in translating product requirements into technical solutions
- Experience of choosing and applying design patterns
- Significant experience of representing the company at working groups, speaking at conferences or publishing well respected articles, books or blogs
- Able to deliver to deadlines and demonstrate resilience to ensure the correct technical solution is selected with a full understanding of the costs, timescales and risk involved
- Well-developed influencing skills and ability to communicate complex technology solutions in a clear and coherent way
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here