The BBC is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved brands. Our product development teams build two of the most key BBC products: BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds.
Our mission is to secure the Internet future of BBC. It is an exciting time to join the team as we’ve ambitious goals to be the number one online TV and audio services in the UK. This is a place where your work impacts 25 millions of users every day across our products and content consumption is over 40 million hours, making this is an opportunity to work on software at a scale that is hard to find.
We’re looking for a Software Engineering Manager to lead the iPlayer & Sounds Mobile Engineering teams in Salford. You’ll be an experienced technology leader who understands modern tech, from ways of working to technical architecture. You’ll be partnering with the product team in delivering a world class product experience while driving engineering practices forward and provide new capabilities across the department.
You’ll be leading multiple engineering teams that are specialist on both Android and iOS development. We move fast and are highly agile. Our tech stack is modern and cloud native. You’ll get a chance to help the team deliver cutting edge technical solutions that power two of the BBC’s biggest brands: iPlayer and Sounds.
As a member of the Engineering Leadership team, you will have the opportunity to work with your peers in engineering and other disciplines to help us make our world class team even better. Driving initiatives and helping us get to places we have never been before.
The Ideal Candidate
- Mobile development (iOS and Android) experience
- Large scale, high volume customer facing applications, driving continuous improvement in the software engineering craft and lean processes, modularisation of the code base where appropriate, minimising dependencies and driving collaboration on shared components
- API design and service architecture
- Managing multiple stakeholders in a complex matrix environment
- Experience leading multiple software development teams, ideally with experience of different platforms (e.g.: Web)
- Track record of growing engineers and engineering leaders
- Experience working in Video On Demand applications at scale
Contract type: Full Time, Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here