Software Engineering Manager
The BBC has one of the largest broadcast archives in the world and Archive Services are responsible for making this collection accessible and available.
We provide a range of new solutions and products for the whole BBC including the Digital Archive, Archive Search and Redux to maximise the reuse of our content and increasingly through next generation technology build new and advanced tools that will provide compelling content propositions while at the same time safeguarding and preserving our important broadcast heritage.
You will be part of a larger team who support a platform that powers BBC services reaching millions of people in the UK and across the globe.
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
- Leading software engineering teams in the design and development of high-performance software systems and consumer facing products
- Recruit, mentor, coach and manage staff, ensuring the quality of their work and professional development. Provide technical leadership and direction to peers and colleagues
- Accountable for ensuring the software is properly monitored, supported and maintained, including maintaining resources and skills for resolving issues throughout the lifecycle
- Working with other technical leaders in the broader organisation to define and implement the operating environment
- Working with other technical leaders in the broader organisation to define, document and distribute best practice and standards
- Work with the project management team to ensure teams operate effective development and delivery processes that support the timely delivery of their roadmaps
- Own contracts with vendors, negotiate and influence to hold them accountable for the terms of the agreement
- Maintain knowledge of industry and competitor developments
- Lead the team to have an effective vision, strategy and business case that supports their product and wider divisional and BBC strategies
Clearly communicate the product strategy, plans, objectives and performance measures, progress against plans and budget to all interested and invested parties – tailoring communication as appropriate to ensure relevance to the audience
Are you the right candidate?
- Significant experience in management of software engineering teams, including recruitment, mentoring and development, deal with multiple priorities, manage conflict and influence to ensure that projects / assignments are properly commissioned and delivered into the business
- Extensive knowledge of designing and writing robust software for large scale applications in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles
- Expertise in developing for operational concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, security considerations)
- Knowledge of development processes, including agile
- Expertise in test driven development
- Leadership experience of project working and professional software
- Expertise in translating product requirements into technical solutions
- Experience of choosing and applying design patterns
- Significant experience of representing the company at working groups, speaking at conferences or publishing well respected articles, books or blogs
- Able to deliver to deadlines and demonstrate resilience to ensure the correct technical solution is selected with a full understanding of the costs, timescales and risk involved
- Well-developed influencing skills and ability to communicate complex technology solutions in a clear and coherent way
Technical Knowledge & Experience:
An ability to lead discussion, direction and support team members in decisions relating to:
- Mainstream development and deployment tool chains. (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Database design and use in software applications
- Multiple mainstream development frameworks
- Open source practices and licenses
Grade 10 (Proposed Band D)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Design + Engineering
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.