Software Engineering Team Lead - Apps (Connected Data - Machine Learning)
BBC is embarking on an ambitious and exciting Connected Data Strategy that will enable the reinvention of the BBC and digital transformation. Data will play an important role in the future and it is recognised that we need to invest in building a data capability with audience interests at the heart.
Our products reach hundreds of millions of users around the world, with billions of page views and video plays each week.
To make the most of this potential for our audiences we’re looking for a team lead for our team to help us to build a fantastic new audience experience. We are growing a new team co-located with our data science, and voice UI teams so you will be collaborating on a new project that is at the forefront of the Machine Learning at the BBC. The combined teams will lead the way in Machine Learning, and the BBC app we produce is a focus product for this work.
We are aiming high and have an open brief to define what works best for our audience, so you will help shape both the technical direction and audience product. We want to stay lean, move quickly to build, test and learn as we go, so your input will make a difference from day one. We want everyone to feel ownership our collective success.
We are looking for a range of skills so If you have a demonstrable experience and passion for app development and are excited by the idea having a big impact for the BBC audience, then please get in touch.
If you can demonstrate interest or knowledge in Machine learning, GCP or personalisation, this is a bonus but not a requirement.
You’ll have the opportunity to engage with and influence mobile development across a number of BBC apps and services to tap into the wealth of knowledge and experience of an organisation serving a global audience. Learning is an important part of the role, and as a team member you’ll have access to BBC Academy training programmes, the opportunity to attend technology conferences, and use other resources you find necessary to progress as an engineer.
- Be accountable for the design and development of effective software that meets given complex, strategic business needs for immediate team and broader BBC
- Provide technical knowledge and insight to peers and colleagues
- Ensure the team’s approach to testing is fit for purpose
- Ensure integration of the software with monitoring and support tools
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Ensure the team’s software works well in its operating environment
- Ensure that the team’s technical product documentation is always complete, accurate and coherent
- Ensure troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Work with other technical leaders in the broader organisation to define, document and distribute best practice and standards
- Define, lead and encourage continuous improvement of the teams delivery and development processes
- Work with project, product leads to design software and create implementable specifications and tasks at product and roadmap level
- Work with 3rd Party ("Indies") where necessary providing direction, support and documentation
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate
The Ideal Candidate
- Extensive experience designing and writing robust software for large scale applications in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles
- Expertise in mainstream development frameworks
- Expertise with mainstream development and deployment tool chains. (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Expertise in database design and use in software applications
- Experience of open source practices
- Expertise in test driven development and broader testing and QA concerns
- Experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- Expertise in choosing and applying design patterns
- Demonstratable leadership and collaboration inside and beyond the team. The ability to influence diverse and senior stakeholders effectively
- Takes responsibility for driving products and system to success
- Computer Science Degree
- Experience of talking in industry forums, interest groups or blogging and other broader industry engagement
- Recruitment, management and mentoring experience
Grade 10 (Proposed Band E)
12 Month Fixed Term
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.