Are you looking for a role that builds on your experience of engineering systems? Are you keen to lead, grow and develop a team of talented engineers? Do you strive to create an environment in which people can flourish and be their best? Would you like to work on services that are used by key BBC products and millions of people each day? If so, this opportunity could be for you.
BBC Audience Platform is responsible for the platform systems at the centre of the BBC’s aim to make a personalised BBC Online for everyone. We create components, systems and services that enable people's experience of BBC Online to be tailored by their activities and interactions; everything from content recommendations in iPlayer, to enabling people to comment on BBC News articles. Our services enable and underpin offerings from the BBC's major brands including iPlayer, Sounds, BBC News, Sport, Bitesize and so much more; giving our services unparalleled reach.
Within Audience Platform we have three focus areas: BBC Account, Audience Data & Analytics, and Personalisation & Participation. Each area comprises highly functioning, multi-disciplinary teams working in an Agile way. Each team is made up of engineers, testers, UX designers, delivery enablers and product owners. Across Audience Platform we pride ourselves on having a kind, helpful, learning-based culture, where everyone can be their best. We offer regular training and development opportunities including 10% time to allow for self-improvement, learning and innovation. We have a focus on good quality management to help enable, guide and empower others. We promote a healthy work-life balance with opportunities for flexible working hours.
We are currently looking for three talented Software Engineering Team Leads in BBC Audience Platform. You will be a current or aspiring technology leader who has a passion for leading world-class engineering teams and developing, guiding and mentoring people. You will be working within one of our engineering teams within Audience Platform, working in partnership with the other supportive roles within the team, to deliver best in class product experiences, drive forward our technologies and support your engineers. You will be supported by the senior leadership within Audience Platform to enable you to build and develop your team and the people within it.
The focus of the role includes:
- People: Recruit, mentor, coach and manage staff, assuring the quality of their work and professional development.
- Environment: Create an environment in which people can be their best. This will involve working with department leaders to create a positive working culture and working with peers to create continuity and alignment across the teams.
- Quality: Work across the technical community to review and improve processes and practices ensuring learning is shared.
Are you the right candidate?
Here are some of the characteristics of an ideal candidate - we know that the ideal candidate doesn’t exist, so take a look through and let’s have a conversation if you have are interested in this opportunity.
- Track record of growing engineers with a focus on mentoring, coaching and development
- Experience of designing, writing and supporting robust, large-scale applications in a fast-changing environment with rapid release cycles
- Experience of managing multiple technical and non-technical stakeholders in a complex, agile, matrix environment
- Ability to communicate complex technology solutions in a clear and coherent way to different audiences
- Skilled in dealing with multiple product and technical priorities with a focus on practical decision making
One of the core values of the BBC and us here in Audience Platform is a commitment to diversity and inclusivity. As such, we accept CVs and answers to screening questions in written, audio and video formats.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Contractual base can be London, Salford or Glasgow
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here