Software Engineering Team Lead - BBC Core Services
We are looking to hire a Software Engineering Team Lead for our Developer Experience and Productivity team within Core Services . The Core Services team is tasked with delivering the new core web and product services framework on which six of the BBC’s eight audience-facing digital services – News, Sport, Weather, Children’s, Education and Homepage – are based. This means enabling, and working closely with, these big and much-loved services to create the engaging digital propositions of the future through resilient and sound foundations.
Core Services is a collaborative and dynamic team across multiple sites with the mission of building the framework and core services to enable next generation digital products and experiences. By working with us, you will help build out the wider BBC’s vision to create the world’s best digital services, using cutting edge technology, collaboration, and championing faster, simpler ways of ways of doing things.
The Developer Experience and Productivity team within Core Services is a highly agile, data-driven and motivated team of Software and Systems Engineers, who have responsibility for key non-functional requirements such as availability, latency, performance, efficiency as well as the overall developer experience including developer tooling, pipelines, monitoring.
- You will bring joy to 100s of developers and software engineers every single day!
- Lead on our operational readiness and resilience engineering programme (MTTR,MTBF, SLO/SLA/SLIs)
- You will lead the development of frameworks, tools, libraries that scale the engineering effort across the BBC
- You will contribute to and own our CI/CD pipelines, enabling six of the BBC’s eight audience-facing digital services – News, Sport, Weather, Children’s, Education and Homepage to ship to the audience.
- You will collaborate with our customers (other engineering teams across the digital products group) to understand their needs and ensure our team works on the right things
- You will evangelise and help establish the dev prod and SRE disciplines across the BBC with counterparts in other parts of Design and Engineering
- Help standardise how engineers build web services and applications, fast!
Are you the right candidate?
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- You are passionate about automation, efficiency, and developer happiness!
- You have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and across multiple engineering teams and physical locations (London, Glasgow, Salford, Cardiff).
- You are enthused/obsessed by software quality, standards, best-practices and automation
- You have experience operating and developing highly-scaleable, distributed systems across the full software life cycle.
- You are passionate and motivated by metrics such as MTTR,MTBF, SLO/SLA/SLIs and in-fact love measuring and improving any metric,
- A strong knowledge of software architecture principles and leading development practices
- Proven experience in leading technical teams
- Proven experience of test driven development
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, Salford or Glasgow
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here