Software Engineering Team Lead - IPlayer & Sounds
The world of television has changed and with it viewing habits are evolving with each passing year. The BBC has to work harder to get our programming in front of potential viewers – especially younger audiences – and ensure iPlayer remains/becomes a regular destination for them.
From Killing Eve and Line of Duty to Luther and Bodyguard, the BBC continues to make television that the nation (and world) talks about and where previously we’d be confident of eyes finding our content naturally we now have numerous different interfaces that need to be populated.
iPlayer usage is growing at a massive rate, across thousands of different devices and platforms. This new iPlayer team is tasked with increasing our reach and prominence by pushing our ever-expanding catalogue of content deeper into the ecosystems of our partners and manufacturers. This team is primarily backend focussed, leveraging a range of AWS technologies and node.
You will be responsible for growing and developing the team, working closely with all disciplines and stakeholders, and technical engagement with partners and manufacturers to support our integrations.
- Be accountable for the design and development of effective software that meets given complex, strategic business needs for immediate team and broader BBC
- Recruit, mentor and manage an effective software engineering team
- Ensure alignment of the teams' products and services with BBC technology and architecture strategy
- Provide technical knowledge and insight to peers and colleagues
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Support product and departmental managers in communicating strategy and product fit and effectiveness to stakeholders at all levels
- Ensure the team’s software works well in its operating environment
- Define, lead and encourage continuous improvement of the teams delivery and development processes
- Work with 3rd Party ("Indies") where necessary providing direction, support and documentation
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate
Are you the right candidate?
We’re looking for people who:
- Provide a strong challenge when required
- Are proven collaborators
- Interested in forming the strategy and approach
- Interested in distributed working practices and making a success of cross-site work
- Keen to learn about multiple platforms
- Happy to fail and learn fast
Contract type: Full Time, Permanent
Location: Salford, Media City
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here