Software Engineering Team Lead (Mobile - Sounds)
The BBC Sounds team has been tasked with shaping the future of audio at the BBC. Our brand new mobile app, BBC Sounds, brings together our live and on demand radio, music and podcasts into a single personalised experience.
We’re looking for engineers with a strong understanding of object-oriented programming, clean architecture, and test-driven development, to help us make the best audio app in the world.
We began as a small, self-organising and highly collaborative team of engineers, testers, UX designers and product owners and we are now expanding and adding another team in our Glasgow office at Pacific Quay. We value our engineers, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as '10% time’ - allowing dedicated time for self-improvement, learning and innovation. We take the time to reflect and improve on how we’re working through team retrospectives and mentoring. We’re a hard-working team who are supportive, care about each other, and promote a healthy work-life balance with opportunities for flexible working hours and a friendly working environment. This is an exciting time to join the team as we expand to our second site and push Sounds to new levels.
As a Software Engineering Team Lead you will be expected to take a lead in the design and implementation of software applications, ensure on time delivery of robust, industry leading solutions.
- You’ll have a strong background in software development and in-depth knowledge of design principles and patterns - with a strong focus on mobile development with Swift and Objective-C for iOS and/or Kotlin and Java for Android. You may be a specialist in one mobile platform but have an essential knowledge of the other.
- You’ll lead a multidisciplinary team, providing technical direction for the products that you are responsible for - ensuring quality standards are maintained and best practise is employed.
- You’ll have some experience of building, developing, leading and mentoring a small team of software engineers. You’ll help our top level contributors grow and help them advance their careers.
- You’ll love learning new technologies and be able to grow the technical capabilities of the team by example through evolving and promoting leading practices for software development.
- You’re able to work with the leadership team for the product you represent - helping shaping the backlog to ensure we’re delivering on time and to a high quality.
- You’ll be able to facilitate collaboration between all of the Engineering teams in Sounds - solving the interesting and challenging technical problems that affect us all.
- You’ll have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. You’ll promote your skills, share your knowledge and contribute to the evolution of best practices throughout the department and the BBC.
Are you the right candidate?
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- A strong knowledge of software architecture principles and leading development practices
- Excellent development skills and experience building mobile applications: ideally in Swift on iOS, and / or Kotlin on Android
- Experience of Continuous Integration and the app store release process?
- Proven experience in leading technical teams?
- Proven experience of test driven development
- Experience of an agile environment, pairing and working within a collaborative team?
- Significant experience delivering high quality software at scale
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here