Java Team Leader -Software Engineering Back End Account Team
The BBC’s Audience Platform is transforming how the BBC engages with its audience. Our mission to help our audiences find more of what they love, by knowing more of what they do.
We do this by delivering a cloud based API suite of personalisation, data and participation services. Our services include the BBC account identity service, an algorithmic recommendations service, personalised notifications and a host of real time data and warehousing services. They are transforming the BBC into a data driven organisation across the nation’s favourite products – like iPlayer, News and Sport.
Our tech stack is largely Java, Node.js and AWS and we’re always picking up the latest cloud-based solutions.
This role will lead the Account back end (API) team to build a highly scalable and secure identity and access management solution for the BBC’s users. We support tens of millions of registered users, and over 25,000 transactions per second every Saturday night. You’ll be working in a cross-functional team, and managing a team of about 10 developers and devops engineers. You’ll be supported by a community of team leaders in Audience Platform and the wider BBC Platform group
On a typical day, you’ll be working with your team to find the best approach to technical problems, coaching team members, and working with colleagues in the product team and other teams to understand requirements, design architectures and challenge each other to find the best solutions to problems. You’ll need to be a great communicator, and be happy working in an agile fashion alongside a product manager, business analyst and project manager.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition to our standard engineering job description (below), you’ll need:
- Experience of delivering large-scale engineering projects that you’ve delivered (please provide links where you can!)
- Experience working with and leading a team, and mentoring engineers and devops engineers
- Experience of deploying production code in a Continuous Integration environment
- Experience with Cloud Services and their associated technologies, ideally AWS
- Strong experience of delivering secure, highly performant and scalable products
Excellent career progression: the BBC offers great opportunities for staff to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities: our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community: we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical opportunities: We work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role. The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.