Now is a great time to join the BBC News & Weather digital teams. Over the last four years, we have doubled the reach of the News site and apps in both the UK and globally. On an average week, 60% of visitors to BBC online come to News & Weather in the UK, rising to 75% internationally; when big stories hit, we regularly now exceed 100m weekly users. While we’re a big product, we’re still one-size-fits-all, and over the next two years we must make the leap to a modern, personalised digital service that works for all. We’re doubling the size of the product and engineering teams by hiring over 100 new roles to support our ambition of creating a truly universal personal news service.
We will deliver a mix of universal top stories and curated content tailored to different audience needs, with users experiencing a rich combination of news, live and in-depth journalism in text, photos, graphics, video and audio. We know trust is key, and our teams will focus on experiences with trust and transparency at their heart. We will continue to be leaders in Live coverage online, and build a modern BBC News experience that is important, relevant and useful for everyone, every time they use it.
How will I be successful?
- Be a part of improving our great culture by demonstrating the right behaviours and attitudes.
- Be proactive and take opportunities to increase your knowledge and experience.
- Be a great team player and help us achieve great things together.
- Building excellently engineered, high availability solutions to handle huge volumes of traffic.
- Ensuring technical quality meets the needs for a fast, reliable, always-on service.
- Collaborating effectively to deliver the best value audience experience.
- Working with others to get things done in a proactive and positive way.
- Working with journalists and designers on new application concepts and building prototypes.
- Working closely with our operational support teams to ensure our solutions our supportable, scalable and reliable.
- Contributing to an environment of engineering excellence and continuous improvement.
- Delivering features using agile development practices.
- Seeking out new tools and methodologies to evolve our development processes.
- Solving operational issues, including working under a Dev Ops model.
The Ideal Candidate
We’re keen to speak with people who have experience designing, developing and supporting software systems with one or more modern programming languages and/or frameworks. We’d also be keen to see experience of cloud infrastructure and automated testing techniques.
Experience of project working and professional software development processes including Agile, behaviour driven development and test driven development would be preferable, as well as supporting software in a production environment. Finally, we value experience communicating effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels in an organisation.
We use a wide variety of tools and technologies across our teams, and no one is expected to work with or have experience of, all of them. To give you an idea though:
We also create and support reliable and scalable cloud based microservices on Amazon Web Services, use Git and GitHub for version control, and use testing tools and approaches, such as Test Driven Development.
We’re keen to eliminate any bias or discrimination at all stages of our hiring process and this starts with you submitting a CV-less and anonymous application. We aim to remove any barriers facing applicants from underrepresented groups thus building equality of opportunity, please read our hiring process document at the bottom of this page for further information.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Flexible (London, Cardiff, Salford or Glasgow)
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here