Software Engineers - Children's Design & Engineering - Services
BBC Childrens creates amazing digital experiences for the children of Britain. From Topsy and Tim to Danger Mouse, from Newsround to Blue Peter, we work with globally loved brands to deliver websites and apps that inform, educate, entertain and inspire.
Were a team of over 60 people based in Bridge House, MediaCityUK. Our agile teams are made up of software engineers, testers, user experience designers, design researchers, product owners, business analysts and project managers, all striving to create extraordinary experiences for our young audiences.
Today were working on what mobile, tablet and desktop experiences will be like for the children of tomorrow. So we need great people to come and help us shape the future of the BBC.
Childrens is now looking to embark on creating a team to look after its growing services. To accomplish this we are partnering with our colleagues in BBC Sport & Live. We are looking to embed software engineers in the Sport & Live Services team to form the nucleus of a BBC Childrens services team in the near future.
Sport & Live Services (SLS) is the BBC Sport & Live team that provides the APIs and services that power the Sport Website, the Sport Mobile app, BBC Live and numerous other components and services built by News, Education and Weather. This is a great opportunity to work with SLS and form the foundation of a Children's services team, getting great experience in not just one department but two!
We are looking for talented people like you to join us in initially working with the SLS team, maintaining and supporting critical services and products. You can then help grow a new Childrens services team from the ground up. Come and be a part of delivering the next generation of services and APIs to meet the future needs of the BBC!
BBC Design & Engineering is a fun, sociable and dynamic place to work. As a member of our team you will work with us collaboratively on the following:
- Building excellently engineered, high availability solutions capable of handling huge volumes of traffic
- Ensuring the quality of our work meets the high technical standards for BBC Online output
- Planning features and projects using agile development practices
- Working with our editorial and design colleagues on new application concepts and building prototypes
- Developing tools and methodologies to improve our development process
- Working closely with our operational support teams to ensure our solutions our supportable, scalable and reliable
- Collaborating effectively with other teams and clients of our services to deliver the best possible audience experience
- Seeking for opportunities to employ new technologies, design patterns and methods to enhance our products and services
- Keeping abreast of developments in software engineering and technologies particularly related to mobile devices
- Reviewing the work of your colleagues and helping others
- Solving operational issues, including working under a Dev Ops model
- Assisting with recruiting, mentoring and training new team members.
The Ideal Candidate
You will have experience of:
- Testing tools and approaches, including Test Driven Development and test frameworks such as Mocha and Jasmine
- Using source control systems such as Subversion and Git
- Adopting a can do positive attitude, a willingness to learn and collaborating with colleagues.
You may have experience of some, but not necessarily all, of the following:
- Building and maintaining RESTful APIs as node.js applications using Promises
- Creating and supporting reliable and scalable cloud based micro services on Amazon Web Services
- Administering web servers such as Apache and Nginx
- Administering NoSQL databases such as Redis
- ECMAScript 6 (ECMAScript 2015)
- Behaviour Driven Development and software testing techniques using Cucumber
- *nix operating systems
- Agile software development methodologies, techniques and processes
- Automated end-to-end application testing
- Quickly acquiring new software skills and working with new technologies.
Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.