Software Engineers (Mid-Senior) - Voice + AI
BBC Voice + AI is multi-disciplinary team in the BBC’s Scottish headquarters in Glasgow. The aim is to build a national centre of excellence with specific expertise in this rapidly growing and evolving area of engineering. You will be based in Pacific Quay, the BBC's flagship site situated in Glasgow on the River Clyde, opposite the SECC and next to the Science Centre
Voice and Conversational User Interfaces are the new frontier in interaction with Internet services. From Alexa to Siri, Google Assistant to Cortana, the way we interact with the Internet is changing, fast. Assistants are rapidly becoming a part of everyday life for millions of our consumers and are now the fastest growing medium for interaction with the Internet across the country. Our mission within the BBC Voice + AI team is to shape interaction with the BBC at both an audience and organisational level through these assistants, and pioneer new formats and technology that bring the BBC to life in an artificial intelligence first world. It’s exciting stuff.
We are a diverse, sociable team who are inclusive, care about each other and promote a healthy work-life balance. We take personal development seriously and offer access to a wide variety of training and conferences. We organise ourselves into autonomous agile squads, pair-programming across the full-stack using technologies such as NodeJS, TypeScript, AWS Technologies (Lambda, Kinesis Data Analytics, API Gateway, Alexa Skills kit, EC2, S3, DynamoDB), Elastic Search, Google DialogFlow, Google Cloud Platform (BigQuery).
- Work with project, product & technical leads to design software.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications.
- Ensure the team's software works in production and participate in troubleshooting and resolution of issues as they occur.
- Participate in and help improve the team’s software development methodologies, such as pairing, code reviewing, agile process and continuous delivery.
- Mentor and coach more junior staff.
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate.
Are you the right candidate?
The Ideal Candidate
- Writing and maintaining large scale robust production software.
- One or more mainstream programming language/frameworks.
- Cloud infrastructure.
- Automated testing techniques.
- Working with lean/agile software development processes.
- Developing for operational concerns (e.g. monitoring, performance & security considerations).
Band: C & D
Contract type: Perm
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here