Who will I work with?
We have a great mix of people who are passionate about testing as well as developers who are frontend specialists, backend specialists and full stack. We are very flexible and happy to support people in moving between teams and projects that fulfil their individual interests.
The BBC offers an inclusive workplace where the principles of fairness, respect, equality, dignity and autonomy are promoted and are part of our everyday goals and behaviour. We select candidates for our positions on the basis of merit and as an equal opportunity employer we value diversity and all of the benefits it brings.
Who will support me?
The BBC is widely known as an organisation that values its staff, a healthy work-life balance and a positive, growth-oriented workplace. We have fantastic team leaders that are committed to helping their colleagues advance their careers. As a management team we work to provide you with the opportunities and experiences you need to succeed.
You can spend 10% time of your time learning new skills, playing with new technology and developing yourself, because we understand the need to stay up to date and fresh in a constantly changing technical landscape.
How will I be successful?
- Be a part of improving our great culture by demonstrating the right behaviours and attitudes.
- Be proactive and take opportunities to increase your knowledge and experience.
- Be a great team player and help us achieve great things together.
We want to make sure everything is presented to our users quickly irrespective of the type of devices they are on, so we deliver most of the UI elements from the server. Our web apps are built predominantly on AWS using Node.js but we also use a lot of other technologies, tools & methodologies, such as: React/Redux, Next.js, Typescript, Vue.js, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Serverless Architecture, Java, Scala, Akka, Kotlin, Swift, CI /CD Pipelines, TDD, BDD, OKR Methodology, Jenkins, Docker, Git, Jira, Confluence, Python, GCP, and many more.
What will I be doing?
- Building excellently engineered, high availability solutions to handle huge volumes of traffic.
- Pair Programming
- Ensuring technical quality meets the needs for a fast, reliable, always-on service.
- Championing new technologies and approaches to ensure our products remain world class.
- Collaborating effectively to deliver the best value audience experience.
- Working with others to get things done in a proactive and positive way.
- Working closely with our operational support teams to ensure our solutions our supportable, scalable and reliable.
- Contributing to an environment of engineering excellence and continuous improvement.
- Delivering features using agile development practices.
- Seeking out new tools and methodologies to evolve our development processes.
- Solving operational issues, including working under a DevOps model.
- Assisting with recruiting, mentoring and training new team members.
The Ideal Candidate
You may have experience of some, but not necessarily all, of the following:
- One or more mainstream programming language/frameworks.
- Cloud infrastructure - AWS, GCP
- Automated testing techniques.
- Growth and learning mindset
- Project working and professional software development processes including Agile, behaviour driven development and test driven development.
- Supporting software in a production environment.
- Communicating effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels in an organisation.
You submit an application > We review and match you to a suitable vacancy > You complete a tech test relevant to the team’s stack > We review against our criteria > You attend a blended interview virtually or in person covering the skills, competencies and strengths required for the role > We offer you a job :)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Design + Engineering
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.