Software Tester - (News, WS2020)
Now is an exciting time to join us!
The BBC recently announced a major expansion of the World Service, bringing our journalism to more people than ever around the world with 11 new language services. This position is embedded within the World Service 2020 team. You will be providing test expertise and defining the test approach in order to deliver these new sites. The position requires a tester with an ambition to implement test automation but to go further and think of innovative ways to solve testing problems using technology.
You will work alongside other test engineers and be responsible for testing software delivered to a high quality ensuring that high test coverage is maintained, while working in a multi-disciplinary team with product owners, designers, developers, architects and testers in an Agile development environment.
The main responsibilities for this role are as follows -
- Work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams to design automated integration tests as well as automated regression tests.
- Perform manual exploratory system and regression testing in all environments and across multiple operating systems.
- Working towards increasing the scope of the automation suite by analysing bug data, and writing neat, optimised test code.
- Pairing with developers to ensure we have a robust and well written suite of automated acceptance tests.
- Contributing to discussions on test process and procedural improvements.
- Gaining good understanding of various technologies. There will be a requirement to learn and develop skills in new technologies, within short periods of time.
- Reporting defects and providing progress reports during the testing cycle.
The Ideal Candidate
The skills you will need to be successful in this role are -
Essential Skill List
- Ability to produce quality, reusable and maintainable automated tests.
- Experience testing high volume, complex applications using Internet technologies.
- Ability to track down the root cause of a defect using debugging tools such as Firebug, and to analyse stack traces.
- Ability to pair with developers to implement Acceptance Tests.
- Browser compatibility testing and web testing (desktop and mobile).
- Ability to understand business requirements and create acceptance, design test cases and create clear testing reports.
- Experience of Agile Programming, pairing and working within a collaborative team.
- Understanding of Behaviour/Test Driven Development.
- Working knowledge of a Continuous Integration system to create builds, e.g. Hudson.
Desirable Skill List
- Pro-actively learn the domain and architecture of the system.
- A level of familiarity with AWS or similar Cloud Infrastructure and associated tooling.
- Understanding of web accessibility issues and appropriate methods for testing these.
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architectures, integration patterns and RESTful web services.
- Healthy interest in upcoming techniques and technology and an ability to describe to us something you're passionate about.
Grade - 7
Location - London
Contract - Continuing
To find out more about what the World Service Careers and latest opportunities please click on the linkwww.bbc.co.uk/wscareers
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.