Are you a new and developing Writer? Do you have a passion for both the Comedy world and writing comedy? Then this is the position for you.
This is an opportunity to join an Award-winning audio production team in BBC Studios. We specialise in making comedy, entertainment and comedy drama shows and podcasts. We champion the work of new and emerging talent as well as working with some of the all-time greats.
We make about 150 hours of radio and podcasts a year. For Radio 4 our shows include The News Quiz, Just a Minute, Mark Steel’s In Town, Sarah Keyworth: Are You a Boy or a Girl, Daliso Chaponda’s Citizen of Nowhere, Nature Table, Ellie Taylor’s Safe Space, Conversations from a Long Marriage, Dead Ringers, Darren Harriott: Red Label and many many more. Our podcasts for Spotify include Sorted with the Dyers and Rose and Rosie: Parental Guidance Spotify and Jacob Hawley: On Drugs, The Sink, Eddie Hearn: No Passion No Point, and Inside Inside no. 9 for BBC Sounds.
BBC Studios is a global production company that makes a range of much-loved programmes in Drama, Entertainment, Natural History, Factual and Comedy. Our TV titles include Blue Planet, Strictly Come Dancing, This Country, EastEnders, Inside No.9, Dr Who, Top Gear, Silent Witness and Luther. There is an opportunity to work closely with TV colleagues – after all this is the department that has over the years seen Little Britain, Miranda Hart’s Joke Shop, The League of Gentlemen and Ladhood make the transition from radio to TV!
Aim of the Job
This is an entry level job for someone at the start of a promising career in writing comedy. The staff writers work closely with producers and contribute to scripts across the output of the department as needed. They write funny content for all types of show, from links for the hosts of panel shows like The Museum of Curiosity, and The News Quiz to sketches for topical shows like The Now Show and Dead Ringers. They help producers to develop ideas for new formats, help with story structure in sitcoms and punch up scripts with extra jokes. The staff writer jobs are one way we find and encourage exciting new comic writers with the ambition to create their own series. They will work on their own narrative and sketch ideas during the year, and by the end of the year with support from producers in the team, we hope to be pitching their ideas to commissioners. If you love comedy and are brimming with ideas you want to get made, this is your dream job!
To write for any show as required; we produce a wide of variety of formats and styles. You’ll be a versatile writer who can create one-liners, host links, sketches, narrative and more.
- To contribute as required to long-running topical series, working to tight deadlines
- To script edit sketch and narrative comedy shows
- To write to a brief set by a producer or another writer
- To contribute to idea generating sessions
- To work in a team and also independently
- To develop scripted and non-scripted podcast ideas for development
- To write on behalf of the BBC Studios Audio social media accounts
- To write trails and promotional material
- To be fully aware of the Health and Safety responsibilities of this job role as stated in the department’s Health and Safety Policy and always act responsibly when working on productions
- To comply with the BBC’s policies on Diversity and Inclusion
Are you the right candidate?
To be successful in this role, you must be able to demonstrate the following –
- At least two professional credits that are not just one-liners. These could reflect any work you have had produced (or self-produced) including podcast, short film, online or on-stage as well as radio and TV credits
- Good knowledge of Comedy and a passion for both the Comedy world and writing comedy
- Ability to work with our performers and writers, creating material that showcases them at their best
- Able to write to a brief set by others and write in other people’s voices
- Self-starter who is able to instigate projects and take an active role in their development
- Good communication skills with the ability to express all issues and ideas clearly and concisely
- Ability to treat colleagues with respect and inclusivity and support and encourage others
- Demonstrate original, imaginative ideas that are well written and funny
- Able to originate and develop their original ideas, working to notes and briefs from commissioners
- Demonstrate an ability to think ahead in order to plan and prioritise work and ensure meetings are attended on time and agreed deadlines met
Contract: 12 month FTC (6 months initially) Part Time, 4 days a week.
PLEASE NOTE: We are holding a short Q&A Webinar on Tuesday 14th of December 2021 @ 13:00 to provide you with an insight into this role. In order to register for this event in advance (which is required) please copy and paste the following link into your browser – https://bbc.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_WtCrqWCOTI2VEc6lYuj6Zw
We are really proud to share that we are a Level 2 Disability Confident Employer and so if you require any reasonable adjustments in order to apply please do contact us on email@example.com with ref: BBC/TP/224227/57574 in the subject.
We advertise all our roles on Evenbreak, the specialist job board for disabled candidates.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at the offer stage. We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at the offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here