With over 350 hours of in-house output a year, BBC Drama Production is making some of the most original, diverse and highly acclaimed television. These range from continuing drama such as EastEnders, Holby City, Casualty and Doctors, to series and serials such as Silent Witness, Luther and Musketeers to name just a few.
EastEnders is the multi award winning soap broadcast four times a week on BBC ONE. It currently ranks as one of the most watched TV dramas in the UK tackling many controversial and taboo issues previously unseen on television in the UK. Through great writing and attention to detail the show manages to successfully balance gritty realism with high drama and entertainment to keep its millions of dedicated viewers coming back for more, on-screen and on-line, every week.
The Storyliner reports to the Executive Producer but works to the Story Producer, EastEnders, on a day to day basis. The aim of the role is to deliver high quality, high profile, cost-effective drama.
The Storyliner generates and writes the planning and commissioning document to strict deadlines, creating story ideas and storylines of the highest standard, consistent with EastEnders and under guidance from the Story Producer
They will take a proactive role in covering for the Story Producer and work as a fully effective deputy when necessary.
The postholder will be solely responsible for the following duties:
- To generate and write the story planning document to the highest standard to strict deadlines, under guidance from the Story Producer .
- To create, develop and write story ideas and storylines to strict deadlines, in a variety of formats of the highest standard, consistent with EastEnders.
- To be fully aware of the role of Story Producer and to be prepared to cover any aspects of the job in their absence.
- To confidently adjust and rework the story document to incorporate notes and changes, taking the document from first draft through to commissioning document.
- To work with Story Team to seek out new ideas for possible story and character material.
- To attend long term quarterly story conferences, monthly story meetings, planning and commissioning meetings and be involved highly effectively in discussions as required. To ensure that the programme’s creative vision is implemented consistently in all material.
- To deal with and solve story problems that may arise at script stage.
- To work closely with the Story Researcher, ensuring that all story material is factually accurate.
- To be fully aware of the importance of diversity, how on-screen content reflects a diverse society, and to ensure diverse groups are portrayed accurately and appropriately, in line with BBC Editorial Guidelines.
Are you the right candidate?
People working on EastEnders are a talented, experienced and creative bunch. To join them and make this programme the most talked about on the channel, it’s really important you have the necessary skills we’re looking for. You should have:
- Extensive drama Script Editing, Story Editing, Storylining or Writing experience, preferably on a long running drama.
- An enthusiasm, demonstrable interest and understanding of the genre, especially EastEnders.
- A thorough and demonstrable understanding of character, story and structure.
- An ability to write clear, concise and unambiguous prose in keeping with the EastEnders in-house style.
- Proven ability to persuade and influence and resolve differences in professional opinions. An ability to take several different opinions in a story meeting and reach a common ground.
- An awareness of the financial impact of differing storylines and an understanding of cast budgets.
- Knowledge of Copyright law, Writers’ Guild agreements, contracts and the legal implications of the production process.
- Knowledge of corporate conditions of service, equal opportunities and health & safety policies, Producer Guidelines and relevant trade union agreements. .
This role is a BAND C
Please note that this is a generic job description for a Script Editor. However, this advert is for a Storyliner and requirements and duties specific to this role can be found below.
- This is a 1 year FTC.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.