Systems Engineer – Interactive TV
We are looking for an outstanding engineer with a good breadth of knowledge, covering broadcasting, networking and software technologies. This is a fantastic opportunity to help design, develop and demonstrate your networking and software engineering skills working in a cutting edge and challenging field.
You will be responsible for developing and maintaining the software and hardware infrastructure to the advantage of TV and Mobile application development, including public and private cloud infrastructure, continuous integration and network services. To design, develop and support the products and services, which form the foundation of the BBC’s interactive TV output.
You will be part of an award winning team that is responsible for the complete lifecycle from scoping through to testing and maintaining these key services across all a range of digital platforms. Services include Wimbledon, Glastonbury, Olympics, iPlayer on TV and the BBC Red Button service.
This is a split role between Networking and Software Engineering with a System Engineering bias.
- Design / architect, develop and administer infrastructure solutions, selecting software and hardware components to meet requirements of our agile development teams.
- Install, maintain and monitor systems running on both physical hardware and virtualised environments. Assist with the maintenance of live production software. Automate build and configuration where possible. Perform these tasks individually and with the assistance of team members
- To develop, test, release and document applications using best software engineering practices to ensure timely service delivery and ease of maintenance
- To provide time and resource estimates to assist in the planning of projects.
- Detect failed or failing software and hardware components. Communicate possible impacts and resolve such issues.
- Maintain a secure environment. Take all reasonable measures to mitigate the potential risks involved in operating internet-connected equipment. Apply BBC information security requirements.
- To collaborate effectively with other technical teams to exploit new technologies to enhance the applications and service infrastructure.
- To assist the Operations team with service launches by providing timely adoption documentation, training and assistance with problem resolution.
- To provide technical advice to the editorial and design teams on new application concepts and to establish their feasibility through prototypes.
- To review the work of other team members and to provide assistance as directed.
- To develop tools and methodologies to improve the effectiveness of the development process.
- To assist with training of new team members and trainees as required.
- To keep abreast of developments in software engineering and technologies related to interactive TV.
- Maintain knowledge of industry and competitor developments
- Develop expertise in new technologies and existing technologies and drive the introduction of them where appropriate
- Partner with the project manager and project support staff to enable them to provide effective and informed reporting
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience with two or more of the following skills, Networking (Cisco), Digital Broadcast Playout (TV or Digital Radio), AWS Cloud System Administration, Software Engineering
- Ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and to work with new technologies
- Internet protocols and technologies
- An appreciation of BBC output and a passion for technology in the new media environment
- A track record of producing maintainable code within collaborative environments
- A strong working knowledge of Virtualisation including VMware and Openstack
- Experience of working with source control systems
IP Infrastructure Knowledge
- Experience of configuring Cisco Routing, Switching and Firewalls.
- A solid grounding in Cloud Infrastructure and configuring VPN connections to On Prem.
- Knowledge of network topologies, and configuration techniques, such as VLANs
- Experience in interactive TV technologies such as OpenTV, MHEG or Liberate
- *nix experience
- Knowledge or experience of working with media/technology tools (hardware and software)
- Knowledge of web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Knowledge of broadcast or datacentre infrastructure installations including power, environmental and space layout considerations
- Knowledge and experience of procurement processes
- Knowledge of IP traffic management and proxies.
- Experience managing third party service delivery or support in an engineering environment
- An appreciation of good user experience and prepared to be the users’ advocate
- Experience of mentoring and supporting less experienced members of the team
- Experience of interactive broadcast TV, IPTV, games consoles or mobile application development
- Experience working with Agile/Scrum/XP methodologies
- Competence and full understanding of automated acceptance testing tools and techniques
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background