Team Lead, Operations Engineering
24/7 Operations are the eyes and ears of BBC Online, and are responsible for keeping the BBC’s IP services on air. Issues with iPlayer, News, Sport, Radio, Childrens, Red Button, and any other online offering are spotted, logged, and in most cases fixed by 24/7 Operations. This means heavy involvement with major events being covered by the BBC, during which issues with live video or audio streams, event data, or publishing editorial content are raised and fixed within the team.
Working in 24/7 means working in a constantly changing environment and being adaptable enough to respond well to any one of the huge range of problems which can occur in the BBC’s large and complex live environment. As a team we are committed to continuous improvement which we feel is necessary to successfully manage audience-fit online services.
Manage a team of 247 Operations Engineers and Content Delivery Operators on a dedicated 24x7 shift rota, reporting to the Operations Manager. He/she will provide comprehensive operational and management expertise and be responsible for monitoring the BBC online environment. Ensuring the team remain vigilant to a mixture of bespoke and industry standard monitoring tools and perform initial trouble shooting and first time fixes, using defined procedures and run books. Working closely with 3rd Party Operations/service providers to ensure the complete end to end service integrity is maintained. Incident Management; including the investigation, escalation, and resolution of incidents. Working closely with Service Management – contributing to daily, weekly, and monthly service reviews.
The role also has responsibility for:
- Working with all members of the 247 Operations teams, 3rd line support and 3rd Party service providers and Service Management to ensure that the Online Services (including content) are maintained and delivered with a view to exceed agreed SLA, whilst ensuring that human and technical resource capacity is maintained at an adequate level to meet planned requirements and that the team structure and skill sets are at all times optimised for the evolving needs of the business.
- Contributing to the development of the BBC’s technology strategy from an Operations & Service Management perspective, ensuring that the aspirations of the software development community and other stakeholders can be operationally supported.
- Managing a dedicated 247 shift personnel, ensuring that sufficient 1-2-1 and personal development plans, including appraisals, training plans and required skill uplifts are identified and carried out for the shift.
- Ensuring that all working instructions, procedures and policies are maintained and are suitable to support the above areas and any associated functions.
- Maintaining the support capabilities and team morale and provide guidance to the team along with clearly identified routes for escalation for the teams.
- Managing and tracking all open critical issues and ensuring resolution and deliverables are met to the agreed service Levels.
- Ensuring critical/major incidents are managed effectively, providing timely resolutions and adequate communications to management and the relevant business areas during and post incident.
- Ensuring contributions to Post Incident Reviews are provided for major incidents and are fully documented within the Problem Management system and that route cause and any remedial actions are identified and tracked through to completion within agreed timescales.
- Recommending and implementing changes to day-to-day working practices, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Building relationships and seeking out and implementing common practices with other operational groups within FM and beyond.
- Managing and working with the 3rdparty service providers, such as Atos and Ericsson to ensure that the Online Services are maintained to or above agreed SLA.
- Maintaining awareness and understanding of changes occurring or planned in the live environment, together with an appreciation of wider trends and events which may impact the business, ensuring that all service changes are passed on to the incoming shift.
- Having a good working knowledge of the BBC online environment in order to fully understand audience impact
- Running daily stand up meetings at which high priority incidents and operational status are discussed.
Are you the right candidate?
Essential Knowledge & Technical Experience
- Sound 24/7 Operational experience with Linux and web skills
- Proven experience of working effectively with 3rd party service providers within the IT industry who manage production infrastructure.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, specifically dealing with management and staff at all levels within an organisation, and with external contacts.
- Knowledge of ITIL principles
- Ability to technically understand complex systems built from many separate hardware and software components.
- A can-do attitude and capacity to work positively in a challenging environment
- A commitment to continuous improvement and a creative ideas-based approach to work issues
Desirable Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of managing in media and creative environments.
- Experience of working in an environment with a strong customer focus.
- A commitment to maintaining high industry Support standards and to providing an efficient and effective service.
- Experience of mission critical services in a major organisation.
- Understanding of project management methodologies.
- ITIL foundation certificate.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 25 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief.