Technical Architect (Personalisation)
We are looking for a Technical Architect to work within our Personalisation and Participation teams to help to build a deeper engagement with our Audiences.
The Personalisation team is responsible for developing and enhancing the:
- Notifications platform to deliver personalised Web, Mobile and Email Notifications.
- Recommendations broker that enables business rule-driven routing to Recommender to help the audience to discover the breadth of content the BBC has to offer.
The Participation team is responsible for developing and enhancing the:
- Integration with the Voting platform that is used high profile events such as Strictly Come Dancing.
- Moderation Platform used to ensure that all user-generated content is appropriate for the audience.
- Comments Platform that enables the Audience to interact with each other and the BBC.
- Working with Product Owners, Business Analysts and Stakeholders to turn business problems into Architectural Designs and Roadmaps.
- Collaborate with Engineers, Testers, Business Analysts and Product Owners to refine Technical Designs as part of an agile delivery methodology.
- Provide daily support, architectural best practice and technical decision leadership to engineers and describe estimations of effort required to deliver work.
- Offer support, consultation and guidance to stakeholders that need to integrate with the team’s services.
- On-going collaboration with the central Technology Strategy and Architecture team to define a shared architectural vision.
- Working with the wider architectural community in defining common standards and guidance.
- Candidates will be expected to influence and steer the wider Universal Recommendations programme, which includes how recommenders are served, integrated into Products and to influence how recommenders are developed, onboarded and scored.
Are you the right candidate?
Candidates should take a data and evidence-based approach to decision-making and consider reusability, resilience, security, privacy, cost and performance of architectural designs.
Candidates must be able to convey complex information to multiple audiences, including engineers, stakeholders and external partners. This may require the Candidate to apply negotiating and conflict-handling skills to ensure the best outcome for the BBC in the face of complexity and uncertainty. Candidates should be comfortable working collaboratively with development teams to refine designs, provide technical decision leadership and offer support in delivering those designs.
Candidates should have RESTful Web service API experience in support of highly available and scalable services and experience of architecting web-scale technology platforms and applications. Familiarity of designing Cloud First Architectures, in particular using AWS, is a plus although this is not necessary for day one.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here