BBC World Service is an international multimedia broadcaster, part of BBC News, delivering a wide range of language and regional services and working increasingly with other parts of BBC News to serve global audiences. It uses multiple platforms to reach its weekly audience of 320 million globally, including TV, digital platforms including social media, AM, FM, shortwave, digital satellite and cable channels.
This role reports into Bureau Manager, Nairobi and Africa Bureaux Engineer. The International Bureaux Management team supports all News Group bureaux.
You will provide a professional technical and Supervisory support role to the other technical assistants and office management to our Nairobi operations, spanning a variety of technologies, and within a service management culture.
You are expected to have an excellent command of English, as well as technical knowledge across a variety of disciplines. You will be expected to have a thorough knowledge of broadcast engineering and/or operations. You will also be required to provide first line support, being guided by Engineering Operations in the UK, for the Bureaux IT infrastructure that consists mainly of a secure Windows based client/server topology.
This enterprise-wide desktop is governed by the BBC in the UK with its technical partners. The bureau also uses locally, Apple-based products and some Linux-based products
The Ideal Candidate
- Fluent spoken and written English; excellent communications skills and ability to manage remote communication effectively, as well as experience of producing accurate and concise documentation and communications.
- An up-to-date knowledge of all relevant technologies, including camera, sound and studio equipment and practices, RF & satellite communications, digital broadcasting production techniques including audio/video capture and distribution and IP networks,
- An appreciation of broadcast industry standards including video and audio encoding.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely so that it easily understood by a variety of audiences.
- Ability to understand and interpret data accurately and effectively.
- Confident in own ability and judgment and willing to take the lead and be personally accountable.
- Strong determination to succeed, whilst maintaining tact and diplomacy, even when faced with challenges and obstacles.
- The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Demonstrable experience of leading a team, and being personally accountable as well as being part of a management team.
Job Title: Technical Supervisor
Country / region: Kenya
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.