Test Engineer - TV&Radio Mobile
TV&Radio’s Mobile department in BBC Design & Engineering is one of the BBC's most exciting and varied areas to work in. We provide massive audiences with exciting, digital entertainment via BBC iPlayer and iPlayer Radio. As of now we are making tenacious, innovative steps to become a digital-first leading entity.
You will be embedded in a multi discipline squad in Mobile iPlayer that is creating new features, improving on older ones and changing processes to speed up development and delivery times.
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us.
In this team testers are first class citizens and have ownership in areas that they may not in other businesses such as; UI automation, release process, defining requirements and shaping upcoming work, the ideal candidate would need to be as enthusiastic about these as they are traditional testing roles.
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience in an Agile environment (Kanban/Scrum specifically) and the processes these entail
- Commercial experience in a testing role ideally in a media-related mobile product
- Experience in a collaborative team with daily discussions and pairing for on-going work (stand-up, XP, etc..)
- Experience with modern test processes such as exploratory testing and UI automation
- Experience working with senior testers and a test manager to share workloads and improve processes
- Ability to perform static analysis on wireframes and product requirements in order to find errors pre-code
- Desire to work with other members of test to drive forward the discipline as industry leaders
- Willingness to use automation to reduce unnecessary manual effort this would include; analysing automated test results, writing new tests with help from Software Engineers and advocating for automation.
- Ability to converse with stakeholders within the team, technically with developers and quality or risk focussed with product owners. This includes presenting ideas and partaking in meetings
- Quality focussed mind-set, the aim of the role isn’t to find bugs but convey quality in all facets of the product and try and improve this.
Grade 7 (Proposed Band C)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Design + Engineering
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.