Test Engineer - Voice + AI
Voice and Conversational User Interfaces are the new frontier in interaction with internet services. From Alexa to Siri, Google Assistant to Cortana, the way we interact with the internet is changing, and fast. Assistants are rapidly becoming a part of everyday life for millions of our consumers and are now the fastest growing medium for interaction with the internet across the country. Our mission within the newly formed BBC Voice + AI team is to shape interaction with the BBC at both an audience and organisational level through these assistants, and pioneer new formats and technology that bring the BBC to life in an artificial intelligence first world. It’s exciting stuff.
We are looking for a proven Tester to join the Voice team, to test a diverse range of skills on Amazon Alexa and other Voice Assistants. Embedded in an agile development team, you will be working in a highly collaborative environment, proactively working with development and editorial teams in regularly delivering value to our audiences.
This position requires a self-motivated individual who has good communication skills, is willing to own responsibilities including leading testing functional testing, test design and implementation of test plans and test cases, risk analysis and integration testing across various applications and services.
- Helping to define and manage our testing processes
- Hands on testing of our voice skills/actions using both manual and automated approaches where appropriate
- Be responsible for work quality, ensuring it meets the testing standards of the BBC
- Ensure the team's software works in the operating environment.
- Participate in troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle.
- Participate in the team's agile planning & delivery process.
- Work with project, product & technical leads to design software and create implementable specifications & tasks.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications.
- Work with 3rd Party ("Indies") where necessary.
- Mentor and coach junior staff. Provide technical leadership and direction to peers and colleagues with the possibility of line management for higher grades.
- Write, review and take responsibility for technical documentation.
- Learn new technologies, keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate.
Are you the right candidate?
- Ability to produce quality, reusable and maintainable manual and automated tests
- Experience testing high volume, complex applications using Internet technologies
- Understanding of Behaviour/Test Driven Development
- Ability to understand business requirements, create acceptance test cases and create clear testing reports
- Ability to pair with developers to implement acceptance tests
- Ability to track down the root cause of a defect using debugging tools and analyse stack traces
- Identifying opportunities for test automation
- Experience of source control systems such as Git and GitHub
- Working knowledge of a Continuous Integration system to create builds, such as Jenkins
- Healthy interest in upcoming techniques and technology and an enthusiasm to describe something you're passionate about
Grade 7 (proposed band C)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework align job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC. This re-alignment will not affect the terms and conditions of the appointment.