BBC Search & Navigation have a remit to help our audience discover the best content, that is the most relevant and meaningful to them, by providing them a breath of BBC content from the whole of BBC Online.
The Navigation Team are always looking at ways to improve the BBC Navigation experience for the millions of users who access our services each week, either through the our online and app offerings. The BBC Navigation also provides a delivery mechanism for some of our pan-BBC products, such as GDPR, cookies, geo-location and user analytics. Our aim is to create the best user experience for navigating around the BBC site, using data we can then feedback into our Search system, and other products across BBC Online. All this is done, in order to improve our platform for the audience and to provide our product management and editorial colleagues with the data they need to drive the creation of personalised experiences that audience members will want to come back to.
The Search team maintain and develop our E2E Search platform, using SOLR and AWS, providing APIs for BBC Products to access Search content, in addition to delivering some front end Search experiences direct to users. We use our experience in SOLR to tune our API responses to the different requirements of our API clients.
The Test Team lead heads a group of dedicated test professionals and takes responsibility for managing, leading, setting direction and co-ordinating test across a group of product teams or a programme of work.
We are currently looking to recruit a number of Team Leads across Engineering and Test to steer the Navigation and Search software engineering and test teams.
You will lead the Search and Navigation test team. You’ll be accountable for the design and implementation of test approaches across multiple test teams work with your team of 3 test engineers to build and maintain a test suite and strategy to support the products’ ambitions.
Your role as a leader for the test team is key to our success. We strive towards writing beautiful code and you’ll build best practices in automation testing, and act as an advocate for testing and quality throughout the team.
Our testing is hugely varied. On any one day, you could be working on the front end web and mobile UI, RESTful APIs, big data, performance and capacity testing with Gatling, and security testing. Ideally, you’ll be comfortable working with Java, Cucumber, Selenium and Gatling. You’ll troubleshoot challenging issues and work with engineering leads, architects and product managers to find ways to solve them.
The Ideal Candidate
- Broad experience of test approaches, tools and technologies and experience applying these to new product development
- Experience planning work, managing a team’s delivery and reporting on test activities for a team of testers
- Experience recruiting test engineers
- Experience collaborating with stakeholders to understand and influence product requirements
- Experience of innovating in testing technology and processes
You’ll be great at:
- Leading a team of testers to determine the right approach to solving hard problems
- Delivering quickly and effectively, identifying risks and ways to solve them
- Convincing others of your approach and influencing your peers to make the right choices. Championing your team’s work whenever possible.
- Communicating your plans and progress, and working with your peers to adapt your plans to the needs of the product or project.
- Working with others to understand the root cause of live issues, and designing solutions
Key technical skills:
- Experience in Test Automation with Object Oriented Languages like Java
- Experience in at least one Behaviour Driven Test Framework e.g. Cucumber-JVM
- RESTful API Testing and Automation
- Recent Experience in Agile work practices
- Experience in Configuring CI environments
- Experience with Java, Gatling, TDD and ideally, AWS
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Salford (Flexible working options available)
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here