Test Team Lead - Content Discovery
The BBC produces thousands of articles each day, and has millions of readers. As part of Content Discovery you will connect people with articles they are interested in, and develop systems that underpin BBC efforts on the web. Our team provides navigation and search systems used by products across the BBC, supplies the BBC homepage, and works with editorial teams to provide the most appropriate content to our audience.
As a member of our team you will face challenges not experienced by other BBC products. Our systems are visible across the BBC website, and need to cope with all the traffic that implies while being flexible enough to meet the needs of different product areas. The performance and reliability of our systems directly impacts on audience perceptions across the BBC’s portfolio, and we develop solutions with that in mind.
The team is undergoing a period of growth, with aspirations to provide a new version the BBC homepage, increase levels of personalisation in recommended content through machine learning, and redevelop our search user experience as we migrate it to the AWS (Amazon Web Services) cloud. As part of our team you will be able to influence the technologies, architectures and organisational approaches used to meet and overcome these challenges.
As Test Team Lead you’ll be responsible for the line management of our Test team based in Salford. As part of this you’ll use mentoring and coaching techniques to get the best out of your team - aiding their professional development and career growth.
Working closely with developers, business analysts and product owners, you’ll continually enhance our current test strategy, shaping test approaches and driving continuous improvement. You’ll implement testing plans that ensure that our agile principles are followed and processes are as efficient as possible.
You’ll define risk based test approaches, using a combination of product knowledge, user research and technical variation between devices and platforms.
Automated testing is a critical part of our technical strategy. You’ll continue to enhance those capabilities - ensuring they are used appropriately and effectively.
We often work with third parties, and you’ll liaise directly with them to ensure that our high quality standards are upheld, and effective test strategies are put in place.
We also work closely with our Editorial colleagues so you’ll need to be able to effectively communicate at all levels and communicate risks and issues to a non-technical audience.
You’ll have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. You’ll promote your skills, share your knowledge and contribute to the evolution of best practices throughout the department and the BBC.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Experience testing across web, apps and supporting back-end services
- Relationship management, including a track record of collaboration and influence
- Coaching, mentoring and developing colleagues
- Managing a mixture of small, medium and large scale testing projects across multiple delivery work streams in a mixed waterfall / Agile / Lean environment
- The ability to recruit and motivate staff
- Communicating effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels in an organisation
- Managing off-shore testers and the relationship with 3rd party testing suppliers
Grade 9 (proposed band D)
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.