Test Engineer - BBC Sport
What is Sport & Live?
We have around 80 people organised into multidisciplinary agile teams of software engineers, testers, designers, product owners and project managers. You will be working in a small team of people focussed on delivering excellent features and experiences for our audience.
As a department have a wide range of projects, systems and services including:
- BBC Sport Website
- BBC Sport Mobile App
- BBC Live Pages
- APIs and services
BBC Sport Website
Our website is the UK’s biggest and best-loved Sport site, drawing together world class journalism and live coverage of big events that bring the nation together. With around 25 million visitors a week the Sport website is key to the output of BBC Sport.
BBC Sport App
With over 10 million downloads and a loyal user base of four million the BBC Sport mobile app is the most highly rated and successful mobile app made by the BBC.
BBC Live is the BBCs main way of covering major live events online. That can be breaking news stories, sports events or even music events like Glastonbury. It combines audio and video content (including live streams and highlights) together with key moments and live text commentary into a single page.
APIs and Services
The services we build are used to power large portions of the BBC online. We provide APIs and services that power the Sport Website, the Sport Mobile app, BBC Live and numerous other components and services built by News, Knowledge & Learning and Weather. We are heavy users of cloud services such as Amazon Web Services and related technologies.
You will be working as part of one of our front end product teams helping to deliver BBC Live and the Sport Website to our audience. You will work on products that handle the biggest sporting and news events serving millions of people every day. As a tester on these teams you will be helping to ensure the stability and quality of the service we provide. You will be required to do manual and automated testing on user interfaces and perform non-functional testing to ensure that the services these products utilise are working correctly. You will also be a part of the team’s agile rituals such as amigos sessions where you will ensure testing has a voice in shaping the approach to development.
Who will I be working with?
Sport & Live is a fun, sociable and dynamic place to work. Although some people in Sport & Live are sport fanatics it’s not a requirement of the role. There are lots of people in our department who find things other than sport more interesting.
We have a great mix of people who are passionate about testing as well as developers who are frontend specialists, backend specialists and full stack. We are very flexible and happy to support you in moving between teams and projects that fulfil your interests.
The BBC The BBC offers an inclusive workplace where the principles of fairness, respect, equality, dignity and autonomy are promoted and are part of our everyday goals and behaviour. We select candidates for our positions on the basis of merit and as an equal opportunity employer we value diversity and all of the benefits it brings.
Who will support me?
The BBC is widely known as an organisation that values its staff, a healthy work life balance and a positive, growth-oriented workplace. Sport & Live has an excellent reputation within BBC North as a great place to grow, learn and develop new skills. We have fantastic team leaders that are committed to helping their colleagues advance their careers. As a management team we work to provide you with the opportunities and experiences you need to succeed.
What will I be doing?
As a member of our team we will work collaboratively:
- Taking responsibility for work quality, ensuring it meets the testing standards of the BBC.
- Participating in troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle.
- Being actively involved in the testing community both in the BBC and externally.
- Helping to develop tools and methodologies to improve the effectiveness of our testing activities.
- Helping to grow the Sport & Live testing discipline and improve and hone testing as a craft.
- Participating in the team's agile planning & delivery process.
- Ensuring the quality of our work meets the high technical standards for BBC Online output.
- Collaborating effectively with other teams and clients of our services to deliver the best possible audience experience.
- Learning new technologies, keep abreast of existing technologies and helping to introduce them where appropriate.
The Ideal Candidate
What skills and experience do I need?
The ideal candidate for this role will have experience in the following:
- Manual and exploratory testing across web and mobile devices
- Automated testing using standard frameworks (Selenium, Webdriver, Cucumber, Appium, Calabash)
- Working in an Agile environment (Scrum, Kanban)
- Test management tools (JIRA, TestRail)
- Writing clear test/defect reports for stakeholders
- Pairing with developers to implement acceptance tests
- Producing quality, reusable and maintainable manual and automated tests
- Working with Behaviour/Test Driven Development practices
- Non-functional test tools and practices for web and mobile (e.g. Load, Security, Performance and Accessibility testing)
- Source control systems such as Git and GitHub
- Testing APIs using appropriate tools (Postman, SoapUI, JMeter)
- Experience working in a CI/CD environment
You’ll also be keen to learn and eager to develop new skills. You’ll love working with others and collaborating as part of a multidisciplinary team.
Grade 7 (proposed band C)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.