Tester - Content Discovery
The BBC produces thousands of articles each day, and has millions of readers. As part of Content Discovery you will connect people with articles they are interested in, and develop systems that underpin BBC efforts on the web. Our team provides navigation and search systems used by products across the BBC, supplies the BBC homepage, and works with editorial teams to provide the most appropriate content to our audience.
As a member of our team you will face challenges not experienced by other BBC products. Our systems are visible across the BBC website, and need to cope with all the traffic that implies while being flexible enough to meet the needs of different product areas. The performance and reliability of our systems directly impacts on audience perceptions across the BBC’s portfolio, and we develop solutions with that in mind.
The team is undergoing a period of growth, with aspirations to provide a new version the BBC homepage, increase levels of personalisation in recommended content through machine learning, and redevelop our search user experience as we migrate it to the AWS (Amazon Web Services) cloud. As part of our team you will be able to influence the technologies, architectures and organisational approaches used to meet and overcome these challenges.
A Tester in Content Discovery works with a variety of people in a cross-disciplined team and champions testing to ensure quality is built in at every level of what we do. They will gain a broad knowledge of the various BBC products and the challenges and opportunities presented to such a large and varied web site.
The role will include:
- Identifying and executing appropriate test techniques for a wide variety of requirements
- Experimenting with new ideas to improve our testing
- Shaping the Test Approach and working with others to ensure consistency
- Identifying opportunities for automation, and implementing where appropriate
- Working with developers to ensure testing is carried out at the right level, and avoid duplication
- Reporting outcomes of testing to stakeholders
- Working with product teams to ensure requirements are clear and well understood
- Finding, raising and triaging bugs
- Championing testing across a multi-disciplined team
- Getting involved with the Test Community both inside and outside the BBC
The Ideal Candidate
A successful candidate will be enthusiastic with a passion for testing. They will be inquisitive, confident, and be able to inspire other team members.
They will have experience in some of the following:
- Testing web applications across a range of devices
- Testing APIs and microservices
- Testing cloud systems
- Exploratory testing techniques
- Automated testing using standard frameworks
- Working in Agile teams
- Working with project management tools
- Use of build pipeline tools
Grade 7 (proposed band C)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.